Admission Policy and Procedure
To be admitted to the program, you must first declare a pre-major. Ideally, the pre-major should be declared in the freshman or sophomore year. Application for admission to full JMC-major status should take place during the sophomore year. It is important to note that the JMC major is a two-year program beyond the time at which a pre-major is admitted with full JMC major status. Whether admitted as a sophomore, junior, or senior, the newly admitted JMC major will often need two full academic years to complete the major course requirements. In particular, seniors and transfer students who are considering applying to become JMC majors are advised that it is not usually possible to complete the process of application to the major and all the required coursework in fewer than four regular semesters.
To Become a JMC Pre-Major
- Read the JMC department's Acknowledgment Letter available from the JMC department office (Candelaria 1265) and sign the form on the reverse side of the Letter.
- Deliver the signed Acknowledgment Letter to JMC's administrative assistant, and fill out a Change of Major/Minor form at the JMC office.
To Become a JMC Major
- Complete ENG 122 and JMC 100 with grades of "C" or better in both. "C-" does not count.
- Complete 30 semester hours of undergraduate credit. Hours accepted in transfer from another college or university can count toward these 30 hours, as can JMC 100's three credit hours.
- After completing ENG 122, JMC 100, and 30 hours, complete the Application for Admission to the Major in Journalism and Mass Communications form (PDF) and submit it in October or February (please see below for specific deadlines).
- Mail or deliver your application and, if applicable, transcripts, to:
Journalism and Mass Communications
Candelaria Hall, Room 1265
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
- Journalism and Mass Communications
- The application and transcripts must reach the JMC department between
- October 1st and October 15th for Fall admission
- February 1st and February 15th for Spring Admission
- If October 15th or February 15th falls on a Saturday or Sunday, applications will be accepted through the following Monday.
- JMC does not consider applications during summer.