Education Abroad Program Types
Exchanges involve reciprocal agreements where UNC students study at a host institution overseas and students from the host institution come to UNC in exchange. Admission as an exchange student can be competitive for certain programs.
- Exchanges are often fairly affordable since you will pay your normal tuition & fees to UNC. However, for most programs room and board are paid to your host school, which vary greatly country to county.
- You can directly enroll in a high-quality academic instituion abroad.
- Exchanges typically require a higher level of independence.
UNC Affiliated Study Abroad Programs
UNC has six approved study abroad, or "affiliated", providers. These organizations specialize in the creation and administration of study abroad programs. Providers offer programs throughout the academic year and the summer. They are able to offer a wider variety of programs, as well as internships and service learning. Providers offer all-inclusive experiences with organized excursions, activities, and excellent on-site support.
- You will usually take courses arranged specifically for study abroad students who are normally from the U.S.
- Special Needs can be addressed more easily.
- If you have no foreign language proficiency you can still participate in study program in a non-English speaking country.
- You may feel isolated from locals of the host country.
UNC faculty member(s) will take a group of students (10-25) overseas for a 3-6 week trip, which typically focuses on a particular topic, language, or an interdisciplinary understanding of an issue. Field trips and cultural activities are used to enhance learning.Programs range from 0-6 credits.
Focus on a specific topic of interest to you.
Options to fit a busy summer schedule.
Usually no contact in the classroom with host country students; typically isolated from locals of the host country
UNC offers several other international opportunities such as international student teaching, service learning, and internships.
- Can provide practical experience while working in another country.
- Enhance your resume and stand out with a non-traditional type of program abroad.
- Internships and service learning abroad can be done for-credit or not-for-credit.