Challenges for and Perceptions of Higher Education
- Lucas, H. C. (October 7, 2013). Can the Current Model of Higher Education Survive MOOCs and Online Learning? Educause Review.
- Mehaffy, G. (Sept/Oct 2012). Challenge and Change. Educause Review.
- Kirschner, A. (January 2013). Innovations in Higher Education? Hah! College leaders need to move beyond talking about transformation before it's too late. Chronicle of Higher Education.
- King, G. and Sen,M. (January, 2013). Symposium on The Troubled Future of Colleges and Universities. Harvard Scholar.
- Bass, R. (March/April, 2012). Disrupting Ourselves: The Problem of Learning in Higher Education. Educause Review.
- Immerwahr, J., et al. (2010). Squeeze Play 2010: Continued Public Anxiety on Cost, Harsher Judgments on How Colleges Are Run. Washington D.C.: National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education, 2010.
- Jaschik, S. (August 22, 2013). President Obama Proposes to Link Student Aid to New Ratings of Colleges. Inside Higher Education.
Education needs in the 21st century global economy
- Association of College and Research Libraries (n.d). Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.
- American Association of Colleges and Universities (2011). Liberal Education and America’s Promise (LEAP): The LEAP Vision for Learning: Outcomes, Practices, Impact and Employers’ Views. Washington, D.C.
- West, C. (2012). Toward Globally Competent Pedagogy. NAFSA: Association of International Educators.
- Green, M.F. (2012). Global Citizenship: What Are We Talking About and Why Does It Matter?
- Johnson, L., Adams, S., and Cummins, M. (2012). The NMC Horizon Report: 2012 Higher Education Edition. Austin, Texas
- Council of Graduate Schools. (n.d). The Future of Graduate Education Is the Future of America: A Call to Action.
Growing Competition in Higher Education
- Carey, K. (July 10, 2011). A College Education for All, Free and Online. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Desantis, N. (March 18, 2012). A Boom Time for Education Start-Ups. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- New York Times (November 1, 2013). US Government, Coursera Team Up to Plan a Global Network.
- USA Today (November 17, 2010). StraighterLine Offers Cheap, Unaccredited College Credits Online. USA Today, November 17, 2010.
Teaching and Learning Technology Influences
- MOOC Madness. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Tapscott, D. (2009). Grown up digital: How the net generation is changing your world. New York: McGraw-Hill (book)
- Lutkewitte, C. (n.d.). The First Digital Native Writing Instructors and the Future Multimodal Composition Classroom.
- Twigg, C. (May-June, 2011). The Math Emporium: Higher Education’s Silver Bullet.
- Virginia Tech. Math Emporium.
- Clark, D. (2012). Social Media: Why It Matters to Everyone in Education. The International HETL Review, 2, 8.
- New York Times (October 23, 2013). Flipped Classrooms & Mastery Learning.
- The Flipped Learning Network. (note the UNC MAST logo in the lower right corner)
- Purdue University (2012). Passport by Purdue: Digital badges show students’ skills along with degree.
- Educause (2012). 7 things you should know about badges.
- Azevedo, A. (Nov.29, 2012). Khan Academy Founder Proposes a New Type of College. Wired Campus. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
New Strategies for degree completion
- Lane, P., Michelau, D.K., & Palmer, I. (June 2012). Going the Distance in Adult College Completion: Lessons from the Non-traditional No More Project.
- Anya Kamenetz (2011) The Transformation of Higher Education through Prior Learning Assessment. Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning, 43:5, 7-13,
- Selingo, J. Rethinking the Bachelor’s Degree to Bolster the Humanities. The Chronicle of Higher Education, June 23, 2013.
- Fain, P. (2012). Lawmakers and Foundations Push Prior-learning Assessment: New Momentum for an Old Idea. Inside Higher Education, November 12.
- University of Wisconsin Flexible Option. The UW Flexible Option includes self-paced, competency-based degree and certificate programs.