Diversity in the Classroom Award
The Diversity in the Classroom Award may be awarded to HSS faculty who, in a given HSS course, excelled in any or all of the following areas:
- demonstrating inclusive teaching philosophies and practices.
- consistently incorporating diversity into their curriculum.
- enhancing students’ understanding of diversity broadly in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, ability, age, religion, region, sexuality, class, etc.
- maintaining a comfortable classroom atmosphere that helps students express diverse views
- encouraging learning about and appreciating diversity beyond the classroom
To nominate a faculty member, please fill out the nomination form on Qualtrics. The form will close at midnight on Tuesday, November 21st, 2017. For questions or concerns, please contact Meagan.Crews@unco.edu.
*Courses in HSS include those taught in …
- Africana Studies (AFS)
- Anthropology (ANT)
- Asian Studies (ASIA)
- Chinese (CHIN)
- Communication Studies (COMM)
- Criminal Justice (CRJ)
- Economics (ECON)
- English (ENG)
- Film (FILM)
- Foreign Language (FL)
- French (FR)
- Gender Studies (GNDR)
- Geography (GEOG)
- Hispanic Studies (HISP)
- History (HIST)
- Humanities (HUM)
- Japanese (JAPN)
- Journalism and Media Studies (JMS)
- Mexican American Studies (MAS)
- Multicultural Studies (MCS)
- Philosophy (PHIL)
- Political Science (PSCI)
- Social Science (SOSC)
- Sociology (SOC)
- Spanish (SPAN)
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
Members of the HSS Diversity Advisory Board are not eligible for nominations. Members include: Christine Marston, Christiane Olivo, and Christine Talbot. Past winners will not be eligible to receive the Diversity in the Classroom Award within 4 years of winning previous award. Past winners include Travis Boyce (2014-15), and Harmony Newman (2015-16) and Karen Barton (2016-17). GA’s & TA’s are not eligible to receive the award.
- Faculty Awards Overview
- Excellence in Teaching Award
- College Scholar Award
- Excellence in Advising & Service Award
- Excellence in Academic Leadership Award
- Diversity in the Classroom Award
- Award Recipients
Candelaria Hall 0215
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday