Student Ambassador Program
Students who participate in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences’ Student Ambassadors Program serve in a voluntary role and provide support to a variety of College activities.
The program is open to sophomore, junior, senior and graduate students who have declared a major or minor in a program within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and who have earned at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Student Ambassadors must also commit to a tenure of one academic year and be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours per semester.
Eligible candidates should be mature, outgoing, and well-respected by the university at large. He or she should have a desire to work with faculty, staff, and students and be friendly, committed, and enthusiastic about sharing their UNC experiences.
Students selected to serve as Student Ambassadors will be high-achieving individuals who have an outgoing personality and possess (or be willing to acquire) a good knowledge of the University and College.
Candidates must submit the following:
- A completed Student Ambassador application
- An unofficial UNC transcript
- A current résumé
- One faculty/staff recommendation
All applications will be reviewed by the Dean and Student Ambassador supervisor(s).
Any student who fails to maintain the required GPA and/or fails to fulfill any of their required duties may be dismissed from the Ambassador program at any time.
Ambassadors serve as student representatives of the College at recruitment and other College and University events and support college-level student interaction, understanding, and identity. This program seeks to provide Student Ambassadors with a meaningful avenue to enhance their educational experiences at UNC. These students have the opportunity to network across the college and to develop personal and professional skills experientially and through personal coaching.
Student Ambassadors will:
- Seek to inspire students and promote HSS College
- Strive to be role models within the College and community
- Demonstrate leadership potential, communication skills, and high academic standards
- Serve as representatives of the College to prospective students and their families, as well as other important visitors
- Seek to enhance prospective students’ knowledge about the various student support services and programs offered at the University and College
- Work with faculty, staff, students and members of the community to promote the College and its programs and services
- Assist with recruitment, marketing, special events, and community service
Student Ambassadors will be responsible for the following:
- Participate and assist in certain promotional or College-related events and activities
- Post fliers, create and publish ads or articles in school newsletters, manage Facebook, Instagram, and other social media, and any other marketing tasks
- Attend all meetings for Student Ambassadors
- Attend all scheduled Recruitment Events and other required events (ex. Welcome Tables, Honors Convocation), college fairs, information sessions, New Student Orientations, and commencement if needed
- Attend two evaluation sessions per year
- Be knowledgeable of the application process at UNC, including scores, waiver classes, and resources available at the University and College
- Be available to answer questions about the University and College and be willing to share personal experiences from the University and College
- Provide opinions and feedback to help improve the HSS Student Ambassador program for semesters to come
The Student Ambassador will benefit students in the following manners:
- Develop excellent résumé qualities, such as leadership, responsibility, maturity, and professionalism
- Develop interpersonal skills and become more experienced public speakers
- Build a stronger bond with the HSS College by gaining a unique and advantageous perspective of the College’s inner workings and recruiting process
- Improve confidence in speaking and presentation skills
- Obtain high esteem and self-enrichment
- Create meaningful and lasting friendships with fellow ambassadors through trainings, events, and ambassador-only social events
- Receive a polo shirt, official College name tag, and a certificate of appreciation signed by the HSS Dean