MW 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. & by appointment
University of Northern Colorado
Department of English
Campus Box 109
Greeley, CO 80639
- Ph.D. Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- M.A. Boston University, Boston, MA
- B.A. Clark University, Worcester, MA
University of South Florida, Assistant Professor of English, 2008-2016
Research/Areas of Interest
My research lies at the intersection of rhetoric, writing, technology, theory, ethics,
and teaching. My research argues that the increasing power and ubiquity of digital
technologies calls for us to rethink both the obligations of rhetoric and our discipline’s pedagogic methods. Attending to phenomenological, feminist, and
affective theories can help rhetoric develop an ethical orientation that leads to
more productive public deliberation. Additionally, my research addresses how we, as
scholars and teachers, can help realize these ethical and civic ambitions through
postpedagogy, which I identify as prioritizing spontaneous, unpredictable learning
over pre-programmed teaching. Finally, my research speaks to the growing importance
of digital publishing and the digital humanities. A number of my publications are
websites or multimodal installations. I am committed--both in my research and in my
teaching--to leveraging digital technology in order to connect scholarly and pedagogical
activity to the civic world.
- “Toward a Professional and Technical Communication Made Whole: Jody Shipka, Creativity,
Postpedagogy, and Professional and Technical Communication.” Composition Forum 33, Spring 2016. Co-authored with Megan McIntyre. http://compositionforum.com/issue/33/techcomm.php
- “Uncrossing God: How Levinas’s Ethics Might Contribute to Latour’s Politics.” Philosophy and Rhetoric Vol. 48.3, 2015, 313-337.
- “From Constituting to Instituting: Kant, Latour, Twitter, and the Possibility of a
Non-Modern University.” The Object of Rhetoric: Assembling and Disassembling Bruno Latour, 2015. Eds. Rivers and Lynch. Co-authored with Meredith W. Johnson.
- “Maira Kalman and/as Choric Invention.” Enculturation 18, 2014. Co-authored with Ella Browning. http://www.enculturation.net/kalman-choric-invention
- “Postpedagogy and Web Writing.” With Mark H. Leahy. Computers and Composition 32, 2014, 84–95.
- “Our Electrate Stories: Explicating Ulmer's MyStory.” Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy 18.2, January 2014. Co-authored with Bieze, Ella R., Cagle, Lauren E., Carabelli,
Jason, Dixon, Zachary P., Hopton, Sarah-Beth, Gay, Kristen N., McIntyre, Megan M.
- “How the Internet Saved My Daughter; How Social Media Saved My Family.” Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy. 15.1, January 2011. http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/15.2/topoi/santos/index.html