English Honor Society
Sigma Tau Delta
UNC’s Zeta Psi Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, The International English Honor Society was chartered in April of 1988, under the sponsorship of Prof. Lloyd Worley. Since its chartering, Zeta Psi Chapter has three times won the international “Best Chapter” competition and has provided several regional and national student officers. Since its founding, Zeta Psi Chapter has had several members win top Sigma Tau Delta scholarships and internships. In recognition of its outstanding qualities, Zeta Psi Chapter has received the “Chapter of the Decade” award from the Board of Directors of the international Society.
Zeta Psi Chapter meets for one hour every other week on a day and time selected by its members. The Chapter always has a full slate of activities, including public service, literary presentations, and celebrations of literary events, including Shakespeare's birthday, Valentine Poetry, Irish Literature, and—its most popular event—Hallowe’en (Gothic) literature.
The Society is open to English Major/Minor juniors and seniors who have a 3.30 or higher GPA and who have met certain other academic requirements.
Fall 2016 Meeting Schedule
Meetings are held in Ross 1155 from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- 9/28 – Community Fest Prep
- 10/1 – Community Fest
- 10/5 – Literary Meeting - Colorado Writers
- 10/12 – Literary Meeting - Graphic Novels vs. Manga
- 10/19 – Literary Meeting - Evolution of the Mystery Novel
- 10/26 – Insidious Inscriptions Prep
- 10/27 – Insidious Inscriptions (Bake Sale)
- 11/2 – Literary Meeting - Modern vs. Classical Literature
- 11/9 – Induction Night Prep
- 11/11 – Induction Night
- 11/16 – Mad Tea Party Prep
- 11/17 – Mad Tea Party (Fundraiser)
- 11/23 – No Meeting (Thanksgiving)
- 11/30 – Literary Meeting - Trends is Popular Fiction
- 12/7 – Movie Night - TBA
- President: Michelle Springer
- President Advisor: Nicole Hecker
- Vice President: Asa Cogswell
- Secretary/Treasurer: Nicole Hecker
- Dean of Lambda Gamma: Jeremiah Strong
For freshmen and sophomores who are English majors/minors or who are considering the field of English, membership in Lambda Gamma is available. The two groups meet simultaneously.
- Student Opportunities Home
- The Crucible
- Sigma Tau Delta/Lambda Gamma
- International Film Series
- Rosenberry Writer's Conference
- Neal Cross Series
Department of English
Phone: (970) 351-2971
Fax: (970) 351-3378
Professor and Chair
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday