Diversity in the Classroom Award
HSS DIVERSITY ADVISORY BOARD
"DIVERSITY IN THE CLASSROOM" AWARD
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS)* Diversity Advisory Board is calling for nominations to nominate a faculty member for the 2013-2014 "Diversity in the Classroom" Award. We are looking for HSS faculty who, in a given HSS course taught online or face-to-face in Summer, Fall, Winter interim, or Spring 2013-2014, excelled in any or all of the following areas:
- demonstrating inclusive teaching philosophies and practices.
- consistently incorporating diversity into their curriculum.
- enhancing students’ understanding of diversity broadly in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, ability, age, religion, region, sexuality, class, etc.
- maintaining a comfortable classroom atmosphere that helps students express diverse views
- encouraging learning about and appreciating diversity beyond the classroom
To nominate a faculty member, please fill out the nomination form as thoroughly as possible, paying particular attention to addressing how your nominee meets and/or exceeds the above criteria.
To nominate, choose ONE of the below options:
- Fill out the online form here.
- Fill out the form electronically and email to Hayley.Hull@unco.edu.
- Print out the form and return to the HSS Dean's Office - CAND 0215
Nominations are due by 5:00 pm on March 07, 2014.
Courses in HSS include:
Africana Studies (AFS)
Communication Studies (COMM)
Criminal Justice (CRJ)
Hispanic Studies (HISP)
Journalism and Mass Communications (JMC)
Mexican-American Studies (MAS)
Multicultural Studies (MCS)
Political Science (PSCI)
Social Science (SS)
Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
Women’s Studies (WS)
Past winners include Nicholas Syrett (2010-11) Kelley Mason-Davis (2011-12) and Lisa Zimmerman (2012-13)
Members of the HSS Diversity Advisory Board are not eligible for nominations. Members include: Michelle Behr, Dean, HSS;Travis Boyce, Assistant Professor, Africana Studies and Social Sciences; Pepper Mueller, Sociology lecturer; Christiane Olivo, Associate Professor, Political Science; Christine Talbot, Coordinator, Women’s Studies. Past winners will not be eligible to receive the Diversity in the Classroom Award within 4 years of winning previous award. GA’s & TA’s are not eligible to receive the award.