Diversity in the Classroom Award
HSS DIVERSITY ADVISORY BOARD
"DIVERSITY IN THE CLASSROOM" AWARD
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS)* Diversity Advisory Board is calling for nominations to nominate a faculty member for the 2015-2016 "Diversity in the Classroom" Award. We are looking for HSS faculty who, in a given HSS course taught online or face-to-face in Summer, Fall, Winter interim, or Spring 2015-2016, excelled in any or all of the following areas:
- demonstrating inclusive teaching philosophies and practices.
- consistently incorporating diversity into their curriculum.
- enhancing students’ understanding of diversity broadly in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, ability, age, religion, region, sexuality, class, etc.
- maintaining a comfortable classroom atmosphere that helps students express diverse views
- encouraging learning about and appreciating diversity beyond the classroom
To nominate a faculty member, please fill out the nomination form as thoroughly as possible, paying particular attention to addressing how your nominee meets and/or exceeds the above criteria. Nominations are due to teh HSS Dean's Office, CAND 0215, by 5:00 PM on March 11, 2016. Forms may also be submitted electronically to: Meagan.Crews@unco.edu.
Courses in HSS include:
Africana Studies (AFS)
Asian Studies (ASIA)
Communication Studies (COMM)
Criminal Justice (CRJ)
Gender Studies (GNDR)
Hispanic Studies (HISP)
Journalism and Mass Communications (JMC)
Mexican-American Studies (MAS)
Multicultural Studies (MCS)
Political Science (PSCI)
Social Science (SS)
Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
Members of the HSS Diversity Advisory Board are not eligible for nominations. Members include: Christine Marston, Associate Dean of HSS; Christiane Olivo, Associate Professor, Political Science; Christine Talbot, Coordinator, Gender Studies. Past winners will not be eligible to receive the Diversity in the Classroom Award within 4 years of winning previous award. GA’s & TA’s are not eligible to receive the award.