Welcome to the Web site for the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Northern Colorado! We encourage you to explore our programs and to learn more about us!
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences is a gateway to understanding human activity, thought, reason, and the communication of ideas. With a broad range of courses in over twenty disciplines, including literature, history, philosophy, multicultural studies, communication studies, various social sciences, modern languages, and many others, we help our undergraduate students build the liberal arts core that is the foundation of all University of Northern Colorado undergraduate programs.
Acting Dean of HSS
Our Bachelor of Arts programs prepare students to pursue graduate study or a career that requires advanced critical thinking and communication skills. We augment what is learned in class by providing practical experiences, such as participating in community historical preservation, serving as a public relations intern or an intern at a media outlet, working at an archaeological dig, or getting hands-on experience with community service organizations.
Computer, multimedia and network technology, combined with a personal touch, make our classrooms a stimulating environment for teaching, learning, and communicating knowledge. Courses in Humanities and Social Sciences set the stage for lifelong learning.
In addition, we offer six Master’s degrees, including a new online M.A. in Criminal Justice. Our graduate students develop a focused depth of knowledge in their fields of study to adapt their knowledge and skills to professional endeavors across a wide spectrum.
Our Reputation for Excellence!
Here are just a few of our most recent points of pride:
- HSS emphasizes international experience. 85 HSS students studied abroad in 2009-2010. This represents almost 40% of all UNC students who studied overseas that year. HSS students have opportunities for exchanges and study abroad programs in Europe, North America, and Asia. Also, ten of the college’s faculty members are Fulbright scholars, having received the prestigious Fulbright award for research or teaching overseas.
- HSS excels in providing discipline-related student club opportunities. There are six chapters of national honor societies within the college, including a nationally award-winning chapter of Sigma Delta Pi, plus 20 additional clubs related to specific majors and minors.
- HSS believes in practical and applied experience for its students. 110 HSS students participated in a discipline-related internship during 2009-2010. Every department and school in HSS offered at least one internship opportunity in 2009-2010.
- HSS promotes student research. Our Celebration of Student Scholarship each spring semester honors exemplary undergraduate student scholarship. HSS students are also prominent contributors to UNC’s annual Research Day. In 2010, over 150 HSS undergraduates presented a research paper at this event.
- HSS sponsors the International Film Series, one of the longest running college film series in Colorado. Since 1973 HSS faculty, staff and students have brought innovative film art to our campus from around the world, providing a stimulating cultural asset to the Greeley community.
- The annual Writers’ Conference features free public readings by well-known contemporary authors, such as Michael Ondaatje, the author of The English Patient, and National Book Award winner Tim O’Brien, among others.
Please browse through the web sites of our schools and departments to find more information on specific degree offerings in a wide range of academic areas. Our faculty also participate in the delivery of an Interdisciplinary Studies B.A. that can be individualized to meet student ambitions and interests.
HSS offers a pre-degree study option in Pre-Law, and we also offer interdisciplinary minors in such areas as Asian Studies, Cultural Studies, Film Studies, Women’s Studies, and Writing.
If you have any questions about how our programs can help you meet your personal, professional and academic goals, please call on us. Meanwhile, we wish you every success in seeking a quality educational experience and in achieving your professional aspirations. In the College of Humanities and Social Sciences we bring education to life.
Michelle Behr, Acting Dean