Office of Undergraduate Research
Summer Undergraduate Research Stipends - Deadline April 15, 2016
The UNC Undergraduate Research Grant has been established to support the research of students across all departments and colleges at the University. Faculty and Staff are not eligible to apply. Students may apply for up to $1000, which may be used for research supplies (up to $250.00), travel, conference presentations/performances, student stipends, or other research support. Normally, grant money is not awarded for the purchase of common laboratory equipment.
Summer Undergraduate Student Research Stipends
UNC Undergraduates involved in a research project may apply to receive a stipend/support grant for summer work on their research. In order to qualify the student must meet the following:
- Students must be undergraduates enrolled in a degree program at UNC.
- Students must be enrolled in UNC in at least 12 credit hours during the Spring Semester when the application for the Summer stipend is being processed.
- Students must be actively engaged in an undergraduate project with faculty support.
- Student must agree to follow the research stipend policies, turn in a research report, and document hours of research work during the summer.
Research Stipends will be awarded as follows:
- Up to $1000, which may be used for research supplies (up to $250.00), travel, conference presentations/performances, student stipends, or other research support.
Complete Applications must include
- The Undergraduate Research Stipend Application
- A project proposal narrative (1 - 3 pages)
- A detailed budget of expenses and supplies for which the student is requesting grant funding
- A letter of support from the faculty mentor
- Conference/performance acceptance letter and/or proposal abstract
Dr. Travis Boyce, Faculty Fellow for Undergraduate Research, is the chair of the selections committee. Applications will be reviewed by a committee of faculty across different colleges. Recipients will be given explicit details of the disbursement/reimbursement process in their award letters.
Summer Stipend Recipients