UNC Honors Program
Honors Upper Division Program Requirements
The Upper Division Honors Program provides Honors students the opportunity to engage in an in-depth study or independent honors project of their choice. Upper Division Honors Students work individually with a faculty mentor and strengthen their research, writing, creative and presentation skills. Students may complete their in-depth study in any discipline, and projects may include field research, experimentation, social science, natural science or humanities theses in the Research Path; an applied or civically engaged project, business or teaching curriculum project in the Applied Path; or creative composition such as in the humanities, music, theatre or fine arts in the Creative Path. Students designate their chosen Path upon application to the program. All projects require a written component with critical, research-based, reflective analysis. All complete projects are bound and placed in the permanent collection of the James A. Michener Library, and students present their completed research or creative project in a public forum to educate others on their topic. Honors students also are encouraged to submit their final written project for inclusion in a scholarly journal, such as UNC’s Undergraduate Research Journal.
The Upper Division Honors Program requires the following:
- Completion of a total of 11 honors-recognized course credits.
- Presentation of Honors Research or Creative Capstone Project in a public forum
- Achieve a minimum cumulative 3.25 UNC GPA
Honors Project Core (5 credits)
- LIB 251 Research as Inquiry: Exploration for Beginning Researchers (1 credit)
- HON 351 Junior Honors Seminar/Project Design (1 credit)
- HON 451 Senior Honors Research Thesis (3 credits)
Honors Electives - Complete two of the following (minimum of 6 credits)
- Approved research methodology course or directed study with research methodology project. (Required for Research Path)
- Internship, Service Learning course, Practicum or Field Experience – must be contracted for Honors credit (Required for Applied Path)
- Honors Course by Contract – Undergraduate or Graduate level
- Study Abroad/International Student Exchange or National Student Exchange experience
Additional information about general Honors Requirements, Honors courses by contract, experiential option requirements and program planning can be found in the Honors Program Student Handbook available on the website at www.unco.edu/honors.