UNC Honors Program
Under the Honors Program Academic Foundations requirements, students may pursue a maximum of two different Honors Experiential Learning Options from the four options noted below:
- Graduate Course by Contract Option
- Upper Division Course by Contract Option
- Internship/Field Experience/Student Teaching Option
- International or National Student Exchange Option
Students pursuing these options may earn up to 6 course credits for their work or be granted waiver of a portion of their course credit requirements for Academic Foundations. Specific details and information concerning each option are noted on the following pages, and students should carefully review that information if they wish to pursue a given option.
In advance of pursing any option, the student must submit a written request to and must receive approval from the Honors Program to undertake the option. The request should outline which Honors Experiential Learning Option the student wishes to pursue and how the student intends to satisfy the option. At a minimum, the student must agree to complete the specific requirements of the option and should note that agreement in his/her request.
The student approved to pursue an option must satisfactorily complete all requirements outlined in his/her approved request by the deadline noted for the option. Unless the requirements are met by that deadline, the option—even if otherwise satisfactorily completed—will not be eligible to be used to satisfy a portion of the student’s Academic Foundations requirements.
Special Considerations regarding the Honors Experiential Learning Options:
- Approval deadlines for each option vary. Students should pay close attention to the specific approval deadline for any option they wish to pursue.
- Deadlines to satisfactorily complete an approved option vary. Students should pay close attention to the specific deadline by which their work must be completed.
- An experimental option cannot substitute for HON 351 or HON 451.
- Options are not repeatable.
Students wishing to pursue the internship option will work with the Career Services where they can find many placement options and resources. The option selected must still be approved through the Honors office.
For more information on searching and applying for internships the following resources are available:
- Experiential Education website -through Career Services.
Students typically complete the Career Services On-Line Learning agreement to have their internship count within the PLP program. Please check the "HSL" box on the agreement form.