UNC Honors Program
Applying to the Honors Program
Call the Honors Program at 970-351-2940 with your questions or email us at email@example.com.
Honors Interdisciplinary Program Application Requirements
Students are urged to apply to join the Honors Interdisciplinary Program as incoming freshmen, but they may apply as late as the first semester of their sophomore year. All applications must also include one letter of recommendation (to be sent separate from the on line application process).
Entering Freshman must demonstrate academic interest and aptitude through their entire application, and no specific minimum standardized test scores nor minimum GPA will be required. Generally, students with successful application will either have attained a minimum 3.75 GPA in high school or have an ACT score at or above 27 in at least one of the ACT areas or equivalent SAT.
Students that do not meet these general guidelines but can demonstrate a strong desire to do honors-level interdisciplinary work will still be considered. Prospective Honors students already enrolled at UNC or transferring from another college need a minimum 3.25 GPA.
Incoming Freshmen: After completing the UNC undergraduate admissions application visit the admissions "APPLY" menu selection and select "First Year Students" from the drop down menu ((http://www.unco.edu/admissions/apply/firstyear/). There is no additional application fee for applying for Honors! You should, however, complete the Honors Application only after completing the main UNC Application for First Year Students.
Transfer and Current UNC students (with less than 45 credit hours): Go to the UNC Admissions page the select "APPLY" menu and select "Transfer Students" from the drop down menu (http://www.unco.edu/admissions/apply/transfer/). There is no additional application fee for applying for Honors!
- Go to the "Start Application" tab.
- Log in using the same Login ID and PIN Number used when applying to UNC (Students who are not incoming freshmen or those who have lost or do not have a Login ID and PIN Number, just create a new login ID and PIN for your honors application)
- Under Select an Application Type select "Honors Program Application" then follow the instructions provided.
- You will be asked to answer 5 questions about your interest in the UNC Honors Program. Drafting answers separately and then copying them into the application is recommended. The five questions are as follows:
Are you interested in an Honors Residential Learning Community? Yes No Maybe
- What clubs, organizations, community service, academic honors or leadership activities have you been involved with during high school (inside or outside of the school), and what has been your favorite extra-curricular or co-curricular activity and why? (300 words or less)
- The Honors Program at UNC builds a diverse community of scholars through curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. In what ways would you add unique qualities, diverse ways of thinking or specific skills or abilities to the honors community at UNC? Use this space to describe any special circumstances, obstacles, or other defining features of your life that impact who you are as a student. (350 words or less)
- The Honors Program at UNC pushes students to challenge assumptions, consider multiple perspectives, and use their intellectual curiosity to seek answers. Learning is seen as a journey that involves deep thinking and independent exploration and grades are not the end goal. To this goal, students in the upper division honors program develop research, applied or creative works projects that expand our understanding of the world. Please describe a time in your past when you found that intellectual curiosity was more important to you than external rewards for achievement. (350 words or less)
- The Honors Program at UNC seeks to develop future leaders and problem solvers and therefore promotes original and creative thinking. Please identify an issue or problem in the world that you would potentially be interested in working on in the future. Discuss your reasons for selecting the issue and how you think you could become involved. (350 words or less)
- Recommendation. You will then be asked to submit one letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, or other non-related adult who can address your academic, leadership and scholar potential. Letters should be mailed to: UNC Honors Program, Campus Box 13, Greeley, CO 80639 or fax to 970-351-2947 or directly emailed by the individual recommending you to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please include "Recommendation for UNC Honors.". You can print the recommendation half page instruction form for ease of obtaining your recommendation. Go to our Forms and Documents
Students with an interest in pursuing an honors thesis, creative works or applied scholarly project are encouraged to apply for Upper Division Honors in the second semester of their Sophomore year, and must have completed at least 45 credit hours before submitting their application.
Transfer students or current UNC students may apply as late as their senior year, but must have enough time to complete all of the requirements and must demonstrate that they already have a thesis/project advisor.
All applicants must have a minimum of a 3.25 cumulative college GPA and must provide two letters of reference from faculty or others who can attest to their academic interest and ability.
- To Apply: Please fill the UHP application
- Return this application with your personal statement to: UNC Honors Program, University of Northern Colorado, Campus Box 13, Greeley, CO 80639
- Or fax to 970‐351‐2947 or e‐mail to email@example.com.
- Your letters of recommendation may be included or sent separately after you have submitted your initial application.
- Priority deadline – Oct. 1 for Spring admission – April 1 for Fall admission.