Benefits for Faculty and Exempt Employees
UNC Benefits Overview for Exempt and Faculty Staff PDF
- 2015 CHEIBA Benefit Booklet
- 2015 Custom Plus Summary of Benefits & Coverage
- 2015 HMO POS Summary of Benefits & Coverage
- 2015 PPO Summary of Benefits & Coverage
- 2015 Custom Plus Summary of Benefits & Coverage Supplemental information
- 2015 HMO POS Summary of Benefits & Coverage Supplemental information
- 2015 Prime Summary of Benefits & Coverage Supplemental Information
Mandatory Retirement Plan – The University requires all employees to contribute 8% of your salary towards your requirement plan. Employees may choose one of four retirement vendors: PERA (you must have already been in PERA for one year to enroll), TIAACREF, Metlife, or VALIC. The University contributes 11.5% of your salary to TIAACREF, Metlife, or VALIC which are all 401(a) retirement plans and 10.15% to PERA, which is a defined benefit plan. The retirement plans are in lieu of Social Security, which is not an option at UNC.
- Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA)
- Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association – College Retirement Equity Fund (TIAA-CREF)
- US Department of Labor - Taking the Mystery out of Retirement Planning
Supplemental Retirement Plans – Employees may also elect to contribute additional retirement funds through payroll deductions by enrolling in a 403(b) or 457 plan. These deductions are tax deferred income. A list of providers can be found here.
Additional website information for vendors is listed below:
- State of Colorado 457
- Colorado PERA - www.copera.org
- Valic - www.valic.com/Home_1043_221526.html
- TIAA-CREF - www.tiaa-cref.org/unco
- Metlife - www.metlife.com
Glossary of Investment Terms - This link provides information on common investment terms employees may see when reviewing retirement plans or prospectus.
Short-Term Disability (Sick) Leave – Full-time administrative /professional exempt staff employee shall be entitled to a maximum of ninety (90) days of fully compensated leave for short-term disability each fiscal year. See Board Policy Manual, Section 2-2-302 Short-Term Disability (Sick) Leave, for more information.
Paid Vacation Leave – Full-time administrative/professional exempt staff shall accrue sixteen (16) work hours of vacation leave every calendar month of employment. See Board Policy Manual, Section 2-2-301 Vacation Leave, for more information.
- Workers’ Compensation
- Family and Medical Leave
- Civil Duty Leave
- Military Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Paid Holiday Leave
Faculty-Administrative Exempt Benefits and Leave Staff
Workers' Compensation Leave: Stephanie Alsip
Benefits and Leave Administration: Julie Nava