Residential Learning Communities

Live and Learn at UNC

Frequently Asked Questions:


How do I sign up for an RLC if I haven't completed my housing contract?

If you haven't completed your housing contract, you can indicate that you are interested in the residential learning community by selecting the option on your housing contract. You'll have to make sure that you meet the criteria - like having the required major to live in that community.

How do I sign up for an RLC if I have already completed my housing contract?

You can e-mail or call 970-351-2721 and let them know that you didn't indicate your interest on your housing contract, but that you would like to be considered for a learning community.

Do I have to complete any additional applications to live in a learning community?

Unless your community is attached to a special program like Cumbres, Pet-Friendly or Honors, you do not have to complete an additional application.

Is taking the co-enrolled course required to live in the RLC?

In most cases, yes, you are required to take the co-enrolled course to live in the RLC. However, exceptions can be made if needed. While you are attending orientation, you can discuss this with your academic advisor.

How do I sign up for the co-enrolled course for my RLC?

You will receive information about signing up for the co-enrolled course in April. Most people will sign up for the course at orientation, but your space in that course will be held just for you.

What if I have already taken the course or the time conflicts with other commitments?

Talk about your options with your advisor. Exceptions can be made on a case by case basis.

What if I want to move out of the learning community or want to change my housing assignment?

If you are not assigned into the area that you want by the time the halls open in August, you can speak to your Hall Director about getting moved to another space. Once the halls open, the Hall Directors will work with students regarding any housing changes.

How do I know where the learning community is located?

The residential learning community locations are determined on an annual basis based on demand and occupancy management. Many communities have multiple locations on campus. We do not announce the locations of most communities because of changes that can occur.

Certain communities are sponsored by academic colleges on campus. The Monfort College of Business, CUMBRES and Performing and Visuals Arts are examples of communities that have specific locations within the residence halls. If you have selected a residential learning community on your housing contract and your major matches that community, you will be assigned into a room by our Assignments Coordinator in the Housing office. Once you are assigned to a space, you will be able to log into the Housing website and view your room assignment and any roommate information.

How do you decide who gets to live in the community?

Assignments are made on a first come, first serve basis. Changes occur throughout the summer, so if you didn't get admitted into the community that you were interested in - let us know you're still interested by e-mailing us at

What if I have more questions?

Contact us via e-mail at or call us at 970-351-2721.