Safety & Security
The Department of Housing & Residential Education follows the University’s Emergency Response Plan, which is published on the University’s website and is accessible through www.unco.edu/police.
RESIDENCE HALL PRACTICES
Our residence halls house 3,300 students during the academic year and their safety is extremely important to us. To ensure that we are providing the most safe and secure environment for our students, all halls are staffed with live-in staff (professional and paraprofessional) who are trained to respond in emergency situations. We also provide the following security measures:
- The perimeter doors of residence halls are locked and there is video surveillance in most residence halls.
- Each residence hall room has a peep hole for students to be able to identify who is at the door.
- Each residence hall has a university police officer liaison that is utilized for programmatic activities while utilizing a community policing model.
- West Campus Halls, Hansen Willis, Wiebking and Wilson are staffed with 24 hour/7 days a week front desk staff.
- Guests are required to check-in at residence hall front desks.
- Staff continuously review interior and exterior lighting.
- An annual review is done and trimming of plantings around the halls which may pose security or safety risks.
- Emergency phones are located strategically throughout the residential areas.
CRIME PREVENTION & TRAINING PRESENTATIONS
Numerous crime prevention and training presentations are made to campus groups and well over 100 programs are presented annually including a Stop, Look, & Listen workshop all incoming freshmen attend during their New Student Orientation. In cooperation with the SAFE committee, numerous presentations are made each year in the residence halls on sexual assault and personal safety awareness, education and prevention.
RESOURCES ON CAMPUS
Victim Advocacy - Victims of sexual assault are counseled and supported by members of a special team called ASAP (Assault Survivors Advocacy Program), (970) 351-1490
Counseling Center - The Counseling Center provides a place for students to talk about personal problems and concerns. Services offered include individual, couples and group counseling, (970) 351-2496.
Counseling and Psychological Evaluation (in McKee Hall) - They provide the local community and the UNC campus with a wide array of low-cost confidential services designed to enhance personal development. Counseling is available for individuals, couples and families. Psychological and neuropsychological assessments are also offered, (970) 351-1645
Health & Safety Report - If you are concerned about the health, well being, and safety of a student, you may complete a Student Health & Safety Referral Form that will be submitted directly to the UNC Counseling Center.
My Safe Campus- MySafeCampus® is a confidential and anonymous reporting tool which can be accessed at www.mysafecampus.com.