Early Arrival - Fall/Spring Break - Summer Housing
The Housing & Residential Education department provides housing for students that need to arrive on campus early (prior to hall opening in August or January) or are needing to stay during the winter and spring break or summer session.
The residence halls officially open on Thursday, August 16, 2018 for fall semester. Students who arrive before this date are considered "early arrivals."
Types of Arrivals
- Students who want to arrive early and are not required to be here by a UNC department, UNC camp or UNC team.
- Students that need to arrive early because they are required to be here for a UNC team, UNC camp or UNC Department.
- Students that are not required to be early on campus are charged $45 per night.
- Students that are required to be here for a UNC camp, UNC department training, or UNC athletics team are charged $25 per day. Your name must be on the list supplied by your department to be eligible for the reduced early arrival fee. Please check with your department's contact person to determine your eligibility and arrangements for housing. Please verify your arrival date with your department to avoid billing issues.
- We begin taking early arrivals on campus, Sunday, August 12, 2018. You need to have completed the Housing department's early arrival request to be considered for early arrival on campus.
Winter Break/Early Arrival for Spring Semester is from Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 10AM through Friday, January 5, 2018 at 8AM. Students are not allowed to stay in their rooms during winter break unless they live in one of the following areas: Harrison Hall, Lawrenson Hall, or Arlington Park Apartments. Students who stay on campus during winter break or arrive before spring semester hall opening will stay in temporary housing in our University-owned houses. All students will have up to 3 direct roommates during the break.
Reasons students stay on campus during winter break or arrive before the halls open for spring semester
- Students who need to stay on campus the entire break due to a job, team sport, or are out of state students.
- Students who want to arrive early and are not required to be here for a UNC department, UNC camp or UNC team.
- Students that need to arrive early because they are required to be here for a UNC team, UNC camp, UNC Department or are registered for spring semester New Student Orientation.
- The cost for winter break/early arrival for spring semester is $25/day, $110/week or $440/entire break.
Things to Consider:
- Bring everything you need for the entire break. You will not be able to get back into your permanent room during the break.
- Remember to bring the following items (if applicable): toiletries, reading glasses, medicines, uniforms, clothes, linens and blankets for twin-size regular beds and laundry detergent.
Spring break is from Saturday, March 10, 2018, at 10AM through Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 8AM. Student are not allowed to stay in their permanent room assignments unless they live in one of the following areas: Harrison Hall, Lawrenson Hall and Arlington Park Apartments. If you do not live in one of these areas and you want to stay on campus during the break, you will need to sign up for spring break housing.
During spring break, you will be placed in a temporary room assignment. If you elect to stay on campus during spring break, you will have up to 3 roommates.
The cost for spring break housing is $25/day or $110/week.
Please read the information below before applying for summer 2018 student housing.
The Housing & Residential Education Department offers 2 types of housing to UNC students: