Research Day welcomes students, both graduate and undergraduate, to present their research in a daylong celebration. All Research Day activities take place at the University Center from 9 AM - 4 PM. Faculty are encouraged to require their classes to attend Research Day as spectators to discover the wide variety of student research taking place on campus. All rooms have sign-in sheets in order for accurate recording of attendance. Contact the Center for Honors, Scholars & Leadership at email@example.com for more information.
- Submit your Research Presentation Abstract/Register for Research Day now!
- Registration/Call for Proposals CLOSES March 2, 2017 11:59 p.m.
- Register via URSA Research Day registration box
Sessions at Research day
Oral Research Sessions
The oral presentations are held in one of the University Center conference rooms (Spruce, Aspen, Columbine or Council room), based on the size of room you request. Due to discipline-based groupings, presenters will now initially select either a morning or an afternoon 3-hour time block for their presentations. The Center for HSL will, as per usual, assign presenters a room and a one-hour block of time from the information given in the presenters' application. Presenters may find that their assigned time conflicts with normally scheduled classes. In order to continue to promote undergraduate research and scholarly work at UNC, the Research Day planning team encourages instructors to either reassign classes on that Thursday to attend Research Day or at a minimum excuse those students who are presenting, in the same manner that student athletes are excused for athletic events. Oral presentations may be organized for an individual presenter or a panel of presenters. Panels may include a faculty member. Individual presenters must be either undergraduate or graduate students enrolled at UNC.
Each presentation is scheduled for 15 minutes in one hour session blocks. You may utilize the time based on your needs, such as 10 minutes for the presentation and 5 minutes for questions. Individuals may also request a 30 minute time slot for longer presentations or panels, and instructors or groups may request a 1 hour time slot for class or group presentations. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any issues you experience or for any special needs.
Posters are displayed in a group poster session. Posters may be displayed for individual research projects, creative projects, applied projects, class projects, group projects, or for faculty-led research with student participation. Poster boards or panels for hanging posters may be available only on a limited, first-come, first-served basis. Providing your own presentation board that can be freestanding is recommended.
There are the three sessions for Poster presentations:
10:00 AM - Noon All disciplines
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: All Disciplines
3:30 PM - 4:30 PM: School of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Research Poster Display
Poster Guidelines and Poster Printing Information
For more information on posters, and information on how to have a large format poster printed for you, go to the MAST Website.
Call for Proposals
Submit your Research Day abstract via URSA. Faculty may submit on behalf of their students via the URSA faculty tab, or students may directly upload their research application and abstract via their URSA student tab. Students must list a valid faculty mentor e-mail. If a student has an off campus mentor, they should contact the Center for Honors, Scholars and Leadership at email@example.com prior to uploading their abstract.
- LINK TO URSA (Then go to Faculty, Staff or Student tab and scroll down to the Research Day Submission box)
- Application available beginning January 30, 2017.
- Application deadline Thursday, March 2, 2017 end of day (11:59 p.m.)
Important Information about the Application Process:
The scheduling of rooms for oral presentations will be first come, first served, as the web application will automatically schedule rooms and times. Please submit your application early rather than waiting until the deadline! Research Day was one of many events recognizing academic excellence during Academic Excellence Week, and was coordinated by the Office for Undergraduate Research and the Center for Honors, Scholars and Leadership. The full schedule of AEW activities and additional information on Research Day is available here.
Requirements for the Application:
Time Slot Selections
- The web based submission will schedule sessions on a first come, first served basis.
- You will need to select the time block for your presentation when you complete the application. Please have your calendar handy when you submit to make sure you will be available for the time you select. You may not have the option of changing times at a later date, so please be sure of your time selection at the time of application. You will initially be given a one hour session, and even if you are only presenting for 15 minutes, you will be required to attend for the entire one hour session.
- If a particular session time is no longer available due to the rooms already being full, you will see the time listed, but the check box will be gray and not selectable. Please select another time slot if this happens.
- You have the option of choosing your length of presentation ranging from 15 minutes to one hour. One hour sessions are primarily reserved for those that are presenting as a panel or for full class presentations. Please do not select a full hour time slot unless your faculty member has requested that selection.
- You must have the bear e-mail addresses of all student presenters and the unco.edu e-mail address for your faculty sponsor in order to list them on the application.
- Only 10 student presenters may be loaded through the URSA form. If you have more than 10 presenters, please email the additional names to firstname.lastname@example.org with your presentation confirmation number.
- Only the "primary" presenter will receive communication e-mails about Research Day.
- Please check your bear mail account for the email confirmation from Research Day which will be sent the week of March 21st.
- The faculty sponsor may submit the application for the student presenters (using the faculty tab in URSA), in which case the faculty member must have all of the bears e-mail addresses for the student presenters in order to list them on the application.
Projectors and laptops
Projectors will be available in every room along with a PC laptop. You should bring your presentation on a USB drive to load on the laptop in the room you will be using.
Acceptance into Research Day
All applications that submit suitable research will be accepted into Research Day provided the following:
- The Student is currently registered at UNC in either an undergraduate or graduate program.
- Undergraduate students have a faculty sponsor.
Research Excellence Awards (REA)
Students are encouraged to submit their own research proposals for presentation; however, the faculty mentor or a related administrative staff person may also submit the application. Any problems with the submission should be addressed to email@example.com
- REA accepts finalists in three categories: Humanities/Arts, Natural & Health Sciences, and Social Science/Education/Business. Approximately 3 finalists will be selected in each category for both undergraduates and graduates, posters and oral presentations. .
- For Oral Presentations: Only single sessions (15 minutes) will be permitted into Research Excellence Awards.
- You should check the box for Research Excellence Awards if you would like to be considered for the Awards program. Note that if you are presenting in an oral session and are selected for the Awards program, you will be moved to present in the Council Room, and your time may need to be adjusted. We will contact you by April 2nd if you are accepted into the Research Excellence Awards Program.
- If your oral presentation is selected for the Research Excellence Awards, then your presentation will be rescheduled in the Council Room.
- Poster Presenters may also be asked to reschedule if necessary.
- Faculty are not allowed to present as part of a Research Excellence Award presentation. Teams are allowed, but only the primary contact will receive the award.
- All ten Undergraduate REA finalists will have their abstract printed in UNC's Undergraduate Research Journal published in the Fall or Summer 2017 issue. By clicking the box to apply for REA, you are giving permission to have your abstract published by UNC.
- Abstracts should include information that is pertinent to a general audience. Please include an opening statement that highlights the significance of your project. Include information in the body of the abstract about research methodology, and preliminary results, if applicable. An overview of what the audience will experience in the presentation or view on the poster may be appropriate.
- An abstract must be submitted at the time of application. The abstract must be no more than 300 words. It is recommended that you compose your abstract in a separate document, then copy and paste it into the form.
- Abstracts should include: the central purpose of the research or project, a brief discussion of research methodology as applicable, and research conclusions either final or anticipated.”
- The title and abstract will be listed exactly as you post them on the application. Please PROOF your title and abstract before submitting.
- Abstracts will be posted in the downloadable version of the program. The printed program will have the titles only.
- Your research will be selected for the awards competition based on the abstract along with the criteria mentioned above.
Research Excellence Awards Abstract Evaluation Forms
- REA Abstract Review for Arts and Humanities
- REA Abstract Review for Natural and Health Sciences
- REA Abstract Review for Social Sciences, Education, and Business
More InformationCenter for Honors, Scholars and Leadership
Campus Box 13
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639-0072
(970) 351-2947 fax