Special Education Ph.D.
Fall and Spring Admissions: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Admission RequirementsApplicants must apply to the Graduate School at the University of Northern Colorado before the program area reviews the applicant’s request for admission. Failure to submit all required materials will delay the evaluation and screening of your application.
Each applicant must:
- Possess a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or a comparable degree from a foreign institution.
- Have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on the master’s degree.
Take the following steps to be considered for admission:
Step 1: Complete the Application
Complete the online application and pay the application fee (you will pay the fee after you complete all application questions and submit the application)
- Domestic Students: $50 non-refundable application fee
- International Students: $60 non-refundable application fee
Step 2: Transcripts
Request one official transcript from every accredited college or university attended or from which you earned credit, except UNC. Official transcripts from each college are required, even if courses taken at one institution are listed on another school’s transcript. This includes concurrent enrollment courses taken while in high school through an accredited college. You do not need to provide study abroad transcripts.
Official transcripts may be sent via mail in an unopened sealed envelope or through an electronically secure digital program directly from the issuing institution. Mailed transcripts should be sent to:
Graduate School and International Admissions
University of Northern Colorado
Campus Box 135
501 20th Street
Greeley, CO 80639
Step 3: Supplemental Items
You will need to log back into the online application system, scroll down and click on "Submit Supplemental Items" to do the following:
- Upload the item below:
- Statement of academic and professional goals
- Published or professional writing sample
- Request three professional letters of recommendation (click on "start" to initiate each recommendation request)
- Take the GRE: Official GRE scores (less than five years old) are required.
- UNC's institutional code is 4074.
- Required minimum scores:
- 140 Quantitative;
- 146 Verbal Reasoning;
- Combined score of at least 297;
- Analytical Writing 3.5
An in-person, telephone, or internet-conference interview that results in a positive recommendation from faculty in the School of Special Education.
Once you apply to the UNC Graduate School and your application packet is complete, your application will be reviewed by the Graduate School and then sent to the faculty/program for an admission decision. The timing of the admission decision depends on each individual program’s deadline and review process.
International applicants (non-U.S. citizen/non-U.S. Permanent Resident) please refer to the International Admissions Requirements page for further information about submitting transcripts, English proficiency scores, passport copy and financial documentation.
For More Information
For more information about the admission process, please email the Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 970-351-2831.