Paying the SEVIS I-901 Fee
SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is the data base of the U.S. Federal Government Department of Homeland Security that keeps records on students studying in the U.S. Federal law requires that this database be supported by fees paid by students and exchange visitors. Information on SEVIS and the fee can be found at www.ice.gov/sevis
You are required to pay the SEVIS fee to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) prior to applying for the F-1 or J-1 visa. The fee for F-1 students is $200 and for J-1 students it is $180 (This is not a school fee or your visa application fee). You must have a paper receipt showing payment of this fee when applying for the visa. Take your receipt to the visa interview. The SEVIS fee cannot be paid at the consulate. Payment can be made in one of the following ways:
Payment by Credit Card Online:
- Go to www.ice.gov/sevis/i901 at least 3 days before your visa interview.
- Select “File the I-901 Form online” at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the appropriate form (I-20 or DS-2019).
- On the next screens enter all the requested information.
- When given the option click on “Credit Card” and enter the requested information.
- Click the “submit payment” button.
- If your credit card is accepted, you will get a screen that you can print out as your fee receipt.
- Take this receipt to your visa interview.
Payment by Check Online:
- Complete the steps above in “Payment by Credit Card Online”.
- Select Check or Money Order when that option appears.
- Follow the directions as indicated on the screen.
Payment by Western Union “Quick Pay” service:
- Go to www.ice.gov/sevis/i901
- Select “Payment by Western Union Quick Pay Instructions” under the heading “Western Union Quick Pay”.
- Follow the instructions outlined carefully.
- The Western Union receipt serves as your fee receipt for your visa interview.
Payment by Check or Money Order Paper Form:
- Go to: www.ice.gov/sevis/i901
- Select "Paper Form I-901 (PDF)”
- Paper forms are scanned and read by machine.
- If information is missing or difficult to read, the form will be manually reviewed by a person.
- This could cause a delay in processing your form or could result in the form being returned to you for correction.
- When using a paper form, print clearly.
- Next, obtain a check or money order in U.S. dollars payable to the I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee, drawn on a U.S. bank.
Mail the I-901 and your payment to:
I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing
P.O. Box 970020 1005 Convention Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63197-0020
If sending by courier (FedEx, DHL, etc), address the package to:
Fee I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
St. Louis, MO 63101