• prospective_students
  • new_current_students
  • international_students
  • faculty_staff
  • alumni

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?

The University of Northern Colorado is located in Greeley, Colorado.

What is the weather like in Greeley?

Greeley, Colorado has four seasons: fall, winter, spring, and summer. The state of Colorado enjoys an average of 300 days of sunshine each year.

How long does the application process take?

The application process can take four (4) to six (6) months.  Some applications can be processed in less than four months.  Other applications take longer than six months.  Please plan ahead and provide all required documents in one single package after you have completed the online application and paid the application fee.

When are your application deadlines?

Undergraduate International Applications must be received by:

  • May 31st for fall term admission
  • September 30th for spring term admission
  • February 28th for summer term admission.

All required supporting documents must be received no more than 30 days after the above deadlines have passed.

Please Note: International applicants cannot apply for or begin their studies in the winter term.

Graduate International

Application deadlines are determined by the program. If the program does not have an application deadline the above undergraduate application deadlines apply.

Intensive English Program

Applicants who intend to study at the Intensive English Program are subject to the above deadlines and can only begin their studies at the beginning of fall, spring, or summer terms.

Visa Application

The visa application process can take a long time. Apply for admission as early as possible. After we have received all the required documents, we will make an admission decision and inform you as soon as possible.

Apply early - the entire application, acceptance, and visa process could take 4-6 months or longer.

What documents must I submit with my application?

Please visit our How to Apply section to learn more about the application procedures.

Do my documents need to be translated into English?

Yes. The translation must be professional, notarized, and certified.

I don’t speak English. Can I study at UNC?


You may be eligible for provisional admission to the University of Northern Colorado if you do NOT have the English language requirement. 

You will begin in our Intensive English Program. Once you meet the English language requirement, you will be admitted to your degree program.

However, some degree programs may require certain TOEFL or IELTS scores. Please visit your program website for more information.

Can I take ESL classes at UNC?

Yes, UNC has an excellent Intensive English Program.

I don’t have a TOEFL or IELTS score. Can I still apply?

Yes. If you are admitted your admission will be provisional.  Your English language ability will be assessed upon arrival on campus.  The result of this assessment will determine if you need to take English classes in our Intensive English Program or if you can begin taking classes in your academic degree program.

How much does it cost to study at UNC?

Please visit our Tuition and Fees section to learn more about the cost.

Do you accept transfer credit?

If your university is recognized by the Ministry of Education in your home country or if your university is accredited by one of the US regional accrediting bodies, we will accept transfer credit. Students can receive up to 90 credits from institutions previously attended. Students must submit official post-secondary transcripts and course descriptions in English and have a grade of C- or better. Transfer credit will not be awarded for ESL classes or classes lower than 100 level.  The major department will decide how many transfer credits will count towards your degree.

I have been admitted.  Where is my admission letter?

If you are currently outside the United States and UNC has not been able to issue and I-20 for you (due to missing financial documents or a copy of your passport) we will email your admission letter to you.  If you are currently inside the United States we will mail your admission letter to you at the address you provide.  Please be sure to provide a complete, correct, and current mailing address.

How do I get a VISA? What do I need to know about the immigration process?

Information on how to obtain a student visa can be found online.

Can you write a letter to speed up my U.S. visa?

Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to expedite the processing of your visa application. We encourage you to make a visa appointment immediately after you receive your acceptance packet. Getting an appointment and securing your visa can take up to 6 months. The U.S. Embassies and Consulates are responsible.   

I have been admitted. Where is my I-20?

UNC can only issue an I-20 once we have received proof of financial support and a copy of your passport.  If you are a transfer student your current institution must transfer your I-20 to UNC.

How do I transfer my I-20 to UNC?

After you are admitted, you will receive admission documents with a transfer form.  Take the transfer form to your current immigration advisor.  You can find this form on our website.

Do I have to choose a major when I apply?

Yes. You must choose a major.

Can I change my major?

Yes. After you arrive on campus you can change your major.  You must complete a change of major form.

When can I enroll in classes?

You will enroll for your classes after you arrive on campus and meet with your academic advisor.

Will I have an academic advisor?

Yes. Your academic advisor will be assigned to you after you arrive on campus.

What is the student to faculty ratio at UNC?

Student-to-faculty ratio: 19:1

How many students attend UNC?

Approximately 10,200 undergraduates and 2,200 graduate students attend UNC.

How many students live on campus?

Approximately 3,025 undergraduate and graduate students live in residence halls.

Can I live on campus?

Yes. The campus offers a variety of places to live and eat. Students must complete a housing form and pay the required application fee to live on-campus.

Do you have student clubs and organizations?

Yes, Student Activities we have over 120 student clubs and organizations.  There are cultural clubs, sports clubs, activity clubs, and academic –based clubs.

Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?

Yes. Orientation will be scheduled once you arrive on campus and check-in at the Center for International Education.

I’m transferring from another U.S. university. Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?

Yes. Orientation will be scheduled once you arrive on campus and check-in at the Center for International Education.

How can I defer my admission to another semester?

You will need to complete the Change of Term request form and return it to the Graduate School and International Admissions office.