Special Education: Early Childhood, MA
The Master of Arts in Early Childhood Special Education emphasis program is designed to prepare teachers who will work with young children from birth to age 8 across the full spectrum of learning needs and abilities. Because it promotes an inclusive approach to early education, the program is appropriate for teachers who will work in Early Childhood Special Education and/or Early Childhood Education settings. Teacher candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skills in parent-professional partnerships, recommended research-based practices, typical and atypical early child development, and approaches to effective assessment and intervention. For candidates without a current teaching license who wish to obtain licensure, additional courses are required through the Professional Teacher Education Program.
- UNC Main Campus
- Denver Center and/or Online
Tuition & Fees
Total Degree Requirements
36 Credit Hours
- Admissions are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. The program length is dependent on students’ prior coursework/ license/ degree and how many credit hours students may be able take in a semester.
Applicants must apply to the University of Northern Colorado Graduate School before the program area reviews the applicant’s request for admission. Failure to submit all required materials will delay the evaluation and screening of your application.
- Statement of Educational Philosophy and Goals (You will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Resume (You will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 semester hours of academic work.
- Copy of GRE Scores - if your GPA is less than 3.0 - GPA based on the last 60 hours of a semester system, or 90 hours of a quarter system. If you have a graduate degree GPA is calculated on your last graduate level coursework.)
- Proof of teaching license, if applicable. (You will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- International Students: $60 non-refundable application fee
- Completed Online Application
- Please submit the reference check form. If the PDF opens in your browser, save it to your computer or device and you will be able to type and save information. (You will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- One official copy of transcripts from all accredited college or university attended since completing high school. UNC Alumni need not submit transcripts
- An in-person, telephone, or internet-conference interview that results in a positive recommendation from faculty in the School of Special Education
- TOEFL scores for International Students
- Rashida Banerjee
- Todd Sundeen
- Hasan Zaghlawan
- Kay Ferrell
- Noelle Hause [adjunct]