Sport & Exercise Science: Exercise Science, PhD
In the Doctor of Science in Sport and Exercise Science, students pursuing the Exercise Science emphasis select a concentration area in biomechanics, exercise physiology, or social psychology of sport and physical activity. Along with exercise science courses, doctoral students in the biomechanics concentration area pursue independent research projects associated with their interests and specialized coursework which exposes them to research tools and procedures in the laboratory. Experience in the classroom as a university-level instructor is also required of doctoral students because of the teacher-scholar emphasis at UNC.
Doctoral students in the exercise physiology concentration area will not only complete coursework in physiology, biochemistry, statistics, and research design, but they will also gain valuable classroom teaching experience, and be intimately involved with the basic science and clinical research conducted by exercise physiology faculty. Students in social psychology of sport and physical activity will complete coursework in the social and psychological disciplines as they relate to contemporary professional and amateur sport as well as on social and psychological aspects of child development in sports and physical activity. Students will also conduct research in the area of children's physical activity behavior and social influences upon sport and exercise motivation.
Students pursuing the Exercise Science emphasis select one concentration area:
- exercise physiology
- social psychology of sport and physical activity
- Fall Admissions: February 1st to be given priority screening for fall admission of that year.
Applicants must apply to the University of Northern Colorado Graduate School before the program area reviews the applicant’s request for admission. Please submit the following materials to the Graduate School. Failure to submit all required materials will delay the evaluation and screening of your application.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Current Resume
- Written Statement of Career Goals applicable to the selected emphasis area
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- International Students: $60 non-refundable application fee
- Official copies of GRE scores (less than 5 years old) for doctoral applicants.
- Completed Online Application
- Three Letters of Recommendation (pdf)
- One official copy of transcripts from all accredited college or university attended since completing high school. UNC Alumni need not submit transcripts
- Applications for assistantships in the School of Sport and Exercise Science should be sent directly to the School. All other application materials should be sent to the UNC Graduate School.