Nursing: Education, PhD
The Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing Education prepares nurses who provide professional leadership in nursing education, the scholarship of teaching, practice and research in the discipline. The program has two entry options: Bachelor's in Nursing (BS) to Ph.D. or the traditional Master's to Ph.D.
- UNC Online - Master's to PhD Only
Total Degree Requirements
BS to Phd 65-95 Credit Hours (students receive the master's degree en route to the PhD)
MS to PhD: 65 Credit Hours
- Fall Admissions: Feb. 15
- Department will let applicant know status via e-mail or letter.
Applicants must apply to the University of Northern Colorado Graduate School before the program area reviews the applicant’s request for admission. To apply, submit the following materials in a single packet along with the application fee. Failure to submit all required materials will delay the evaluation and screening of your application.
- Completion of a bachelors of science in nursing from an accredited school or completion of a bachelor in nursing and a master’s degree.
- Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test Scores
- Required Minimum: 140 Quantitative; 146 Verbal Reasoning; Combined score of at least 297; Analytic Writing 3.5
- GPA 3.0 Minimum (4.0 Scale)
- Personal statement of future goals/interest in nursing education (2 page maximum; 12 font, 1 inch paper margins) (send to the School of Nursing)
- Interview with nursing faculty (scheduled by telephone or in person)
- Two years teaching experience recommended
- Current vita or resume (send to the School of Nursing)
- Example of scholarly work or project (send to the School of Nursing)
- Current RN licensure
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- International Students: $60 non-refundable application fee
- Completed Online Application
- One official copy of transcripts from all accredited college or university attended since completing high school. UNC Alumni need not submit transcripts
- Three Letters of Recommendation (You will start this process after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- One addressing the applicant’s experience with/ interest in/potential for nursing education, and professional leadership skills.
- One from a doctorally prepared nursing educator addressing the applicant’s academic potential.
- One letter from a reference of the student’s choice.
- Bopp, Audrey
- Clukey, Lory
- Copeland, Darcy
- Cummins, Erin
- Dunemn, Kathleen
- Einhellig, Katrina
- Garrity, Barbara
- Henry, Melissa
- Hessler, Karen
- Hill III, Thomas
- Hummel, Faye
- Johnson, Katherine
- McNeill, Jeanette
- Merrill, Alison
- Parker, Carlo
- Postiglione, Sheila
- Roehrs, Carol
- Rojas, Deborah
- Romero, Michaela
- Schams, Kristin
- Snyder, Audrey
- Squires, Rhonda
- Walker, Laurie
- Wilson, Vicki