Report a Hate Crime/Incident
If you are in immediate need of medical assistance, call 911.
Report a hate crime/bias motivated incident: http://www.unco.edu/biasresponse/submit.html
To report a hate crime/bias motivated incident please click on the link above and fill out the online form. You may report a hate crime/bias-motivated incident whether you are the victim or an observer. Hate crimes/bias-motivated incidents include:
- Derogatory notes posted on someone’s door
- GLBTA organization signs being torn down or defaced
- Verbal or physical harassment, threats, or physical assault.
- Discrimination from peers, staff or professors based on one’s sexual orientation or gender identity/expression
Why is reporting important?
- Because Colorado law states that every individual or corporation who has reasonable grounds to believe a crime has been committed has a duty to report the suspected crime to law enforcement authorities (Colorado Revised Statutes § 18-8-115). See: Bias-motivated crimes
- Students are entitled to know about campus safety.
- Hate crimes must be identifiable and recorded to comply with legal reporting requirements.
- Before steps can be taken to prevent and respond to incidents that are motivated by sexual orientation or gender identity/expression bias, you must be able to identify the nature of incidents that are occurring.
- For students to feel supported and safe, they must know that campus authorities are attentive to all reports of bias-motivated incidents. Campus authorities can only be attentive if incidents are reported!