Thanks to UNC Donors for Making a Difference
Alumni, friends and organizations gave more than $5.5 million last year, the highest total since fiscal year 2005. Combined gifts and new pledges were almost $12 million compared to $6.5 million in FY12.
As faculty and staff, your donations through Team UNC and your participation in conversations and events with our alumni and friends supports our university, its dedicated faculty and staff, its motivated students and its unparalleled programs.
With our campus partners, the university’s Office of Development builds relationships with individuals and organizations to match the interests of UNC donors with the strengths and funding opportunities of UNC. Private gifts of all amounts play a crucial role in student success.
Below are some of the more recent gifts that reflect the range of donor interests across campus.
- $133,788 from 257 faculty and staff for the annual Team UNC campaign; the generous match from an alumnus resulted in almost $190,000 to more than 95 funds across campus
- $5 million pledge from an anonymous donor for scholarships and leadership development for underrepresented women students
- $50,000 endowment for teaching scholarships from Peter Roknich (MA-61)
- $24,000 for business and entrepreneurship students from the Harry Trueblood Foundation
- $50,000 endowment for student-athlete scholarships from Rene Kern (BA-70)
- For the Frontiers of Science Institute, $18,000 from the Adolph Coors Foundation; $15,000 from Xcel Energy; and $17,000 from Noble Energy, Inc., a portion of which also supports Las Chicas de Matemáticas
- $250,000 from the Daniels Fund to MCB for ethics instruction
- $200,000 for student scholarships from the Reisher Family
- $130,000 endowment for the Michener Library from the estate of Viola Smith (BA-67)
- $25,000 endowment for women student-athletes from UNC professor emerita and former softball coachMary Behling (MA-58)
- $100,000-plus endowment for flute scholarships, given by the brother of retired professor Walter Smith (BA-58, MA-60) in his memory
- $50,000 for the Tointon Institute from UNC friend Bob Tointon
- $25,000 from Brandon Barnholt (BS-81) for faculty support in MCB and another $34,000 from his company, KeHE Distributors, for scholarships for out-of-state students
- $24,000 from the American Chemical Society for chemistry scholarships
- $20,000 from Susan Bonsall Rosenberry for the Rosenberry Writer’s Conference
- $15,000 from the Boettcher Foundation for scholarships
- $25,000 from the El Pomar Foundation for the new Financial Education Center in MCB. This gift, along with others ranging from $25,000 to $250,000, allowed for the start of this renovation project in Kepner Hall
- $1 million bequest expectancy for choral music from a Texas alumnus and his wife
- $100,000 from the Denver Scholarship Foundation for student support programs
- Jamey Aebersold, a nationally recognized jazz educator and UNC friend from Indiana, extended his generous yearly pledge to support the 2014 Jazz Festival
- Local UNC friends Mike and Marilynn Loustalet established a scholarship to support a student-athlete from Weld County
- Alumni George (MA-57) and Liz (BA-54) Sage created an endowed scholarship to support men’s baseball and basketball student-athletes. Dr. Sage is a UNC professor emeritus.