President’s Circle members are honored with:
- Updates from President Kay Norton on accomplishments, opportunities and challenges at the university.
- Annual recognition on UNC’s Honor Roll of Donors (with your permission).
- Invitations to exclusive events.
- Discounted tickets to select academic, cultural or sporting events.
UNC’s recognition societies honor and thank donors who lead the way with significant, sustained and transformative gifts that change lives for our students.
UNC was founded as Colorado State Normal School in 1889 through the philanthropy of Greeley community members who donated land and funding. Our President’s Circle recognizes early UNC presidents who guided the institution during some of the most pivotal moments in its history.
Thomas Gray Society
Annual donors of $1,000 to $2,499
Thomas Gray (1890-1891) presided over the formative first years of the Colorado State Normal School, writing the first curriculum, organizing the initial faculty, and purchasing supplies and equipment. He welcomed the first 76 students who enrolled.
Zachariah Snyder Society
Annual donors of $2,500 to $4,999
A national leader in teacher education, Dr. Snyder’s (1891-1915) leadership put moved UNC to the forefront of the nation's teacher colleges, leading to bachelor's and master's degree programs and the name change to Colorado State Teachers College.
John Crabbe Society
Annual donors of $5,000 to $9,999
John Grant Crabbe (1916-1924) broadened the curriculum to reflect his belief in the importance of a liberal arts foundation. He was an ardent proponent of student participation and organized the first student government, creating a student voice in campus affairs.
William Ross Society
Annual donors of $10,000 and above
President Ross (1948-1964) responded to the influx of returning World War II veterans and the baby boom that followed with additional housing and land. He set in motion the expansion of what would become Colorado State College during his tenure.
Darrell Holmes Society
Annual donors 35 and younger who give a minimum of $500
President Holmes (1964-1971) oversaw the tremendous growth in student population of the late ’60s, along with the building program that more than doubled the size of the campus. He led the move to rename the college—it became the University of Northern Colorado in 1970.