Online Tutoring Basics
If a client cannot make a face-to-face appointment with a tutor, an online tutoring option is available via email. Clients make an appointment as usual and email their work to the tutor fifteen minutes before the appointment time. The tutor then uses the client's appointment time to respond to his or her work using Microsoft Word's "comment" feature and emails the work back to the client within 24-48 hours.
Online Tutoring Process
- Schedule an appointment Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with any of the tutors who have the word “online” after their names.
- When you make the appointment, please indicate what specific issues you would like to address in your writing. Highlighting the relevant sections of text is helpful.
- Email no more than ten pages of your work per appointment. The work should be sent as an attachment in Microsoft Word doc, pdf, or rtf formats to the tutor at least fifteen minutes before the scheduled appointment time. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include assignment guidelines in your email message.
- The tutor will use the appointment time to respond to the specific issues in question and email the work back to you.
These tutors are the only tutors who offer online tutoring. Please indicate that this is an online tutoring appointment.
Online Tutoring Reminders
- You are allowed to schedule up to two hours per week in either one-hour or half-hour sessions. One hour appointments are strongly encouraged for online tutoring.
- Do not send more than ten pages of text per one hour appointment.
- Online tutoring is not a "drop-off" service. Any writing submitted that is not accompanied by a specific description of the writer's concerns with the work will not be reviewed.
- Turnaround time is 24-48 hours; online tutoring does take a bit longer, due to computer firewalls and restrictions, so please be patient.
- All Writing Center policies apply to the online tutoring appointment as well.
- The email@example.com address is for online appointments/submissions only. Please do not send correspondence about writing center services to this address. Instead, send such correspondence to the director’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org.