English at the University of Northern Colorado
The Department of English grounds students in the knowledge and practice of literary interpretation and history, as well as rhetorical theory and practice.
In addition, we train teachers in a variety of pedagogical models and encourage them to reflect critically upon the teaching profession and their place therein. We offer courses in film, creative writing, and a variety of national and transnational literatures. We produce literate citizens and teachers of exceptional merit, with the ability to interpret and contextualize acts of signification in relation to their conditions of production and reception.
As a student of English you will gain the following:
- Knowledge of canonical and non-canonical works in American and British literatures in their historical contexts;
- Awareness of global perspectives in the study of language and literature;
- Ability to analyze and interpret texts using appropriate critical terminology and methods;
- Understanding of major theoretical and critical approaches to the study of literature, film, and culture;
- Familiarity with the structure and/or history of the English language;
- Proficiency in written and oral expression;
- Commitment to effective teaching of language and literature.