Resources and University Response

If you believe you have been a victim of sexual assault, you may be confused about what has happened to you or where to go for help. You may be hesitant to tell anyone or you may want to act as if nothing has happened. It is important to seek help and the University has many resources on campus to assist you.

Some of these resources are confidential and others are not. If you are unsure about whether a sexual assault has occurred, or if you are not sure you want to report a sexual assault to the police, you should contact one of the confidential resources listed below:

  • Assault Survivors Advocacy Program (ASAP) 970-351-4040 (hotline) 970-351-1490 (Business)
  • UNC Counseling Center 970-351-2496
  • Sexual Assault Victim Advocate Center (SAVA Center) 970-472-4200 (hotline) 970-506-4059 (Business)

SARC is a confidential resource located off-campus in Greeley and is open when ASAP is closed during the summer months.)

By calling the Assault Survivors Advocacy Program (ASAP) at 970-351-4040 (the phone line is manned 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the year) for confidential information and support, an ASAP advocate can assist you in making important decisions regarding sexual assault and help you contact appropriate resources.

There are other non-confidential resources here to help too, including:

  • UNC Police Department 970-351-2245
  • Dean of Students Office 970-351-2796
  • Housing and Residence Life 970-351-2721

The UNC Police Department is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The other offices listed are available during normal business hours.

All University of Northern Colorado staff members (except those listed above as confidential resources), including Resident Assistants (RAs) and professors, are required to report all crimes that occur, including sexual assault, to appropriate law enforcement authorities. If any staff member is informed of a sexual assault, they will report the crime, including names of individuals involved, identifying information of suspects, and details of the crime to the University of Northern Colorado Police Department. University of Northern Colorado police will then follow-up with the victim or coordinate the reporting process with the right jurisdiction, if the assault occurred off-campus.

If you are a victim of sexual assault and do not want the incident to be investigated, and want to talk to someone confidentially, you should contact Assault Survivors Advocacy Program (ASAP) (970-351-4040) to seek assistance.

If the assault occurred on-campus, the report will be filed with UNC PD. If it occurred off-campus, the report is filed with the agency having jurisdiction (for example: Greeley Police Department, if the location is within the Greeley city limits.) In all cases the victim will have access to an advocate to help them through the process.

Here is some information for someone immediately after a sexual assault:

  • Get help quickly. If you are physically injured, seek immediate medical attention.
  • Call the campus police at 970-351-2245 or 911, or ASAP advocates at 970-351-4040. ASAP will keep your information confidential.
  • Call a close friend or relative for support.
  • Do not douche, bathe, or change clothes until you have talked with the police (if you would like to report the assault). You may destroy valuable evidence needed by the police. If you are unsure about reporting the assault to the police, give yourself time to make an informed decision – do not shower, douche or bather until you have talked with an ASAP advocate. If you change clothes, place all clothing in a paper bag.
  • A person who has been assaulted may benefit from medical attention. The best person to judge injuries is a doctor. A sexual assault can cause internal injuries, expose you to sexually transmitted infection, or result in pregnancy. Even if you do not intend to report an assault, it can be helpful to be examined, preferably as soon as possible.

If Someone You Know Is Sexually Violated


  • Be supportive
  • Listen and allow them to share their feelings
  • Communicate that your friend is not responsible for what happened
  • Make sure he or she has a safe place to stay. A Housing and Residence Life staff member can assist you in finding a safe location.
  • Realize that you have been impacted by the assault, and seek counseling if necessary (Call ASAP at 970-351-4040 or the Counseling Center at 970-351-2496)
  • Allow your friend to regain control by making his or her own decisions
  • Make yourself available to accompany your friend to the hospital, counseling center, police department, etc.


  • Make jokes
  • Be angry at your friend
  • Force your friend to talk
  • Judge your friend or ask how he or she could have “let this happen”
  • Attempt to seek revenge or confront a suspect
  • Take control
  • Discuss the incident with others unless you have permission from the victim (excluding your right to speak with a counselor or ASAP advocate)
Students in a circle in the grassPath with pink flowers on trees