Admission to the ASL-English Interpretation BA program is a three (3) step process:
- Official transcripts from all attended institutions of higher education will be required.
- A letter of recommendation is also required as part of the ASLEI application. You will email the following link to the person you would like to complete the recommendation. They will complete the form and submit it directly to the Department of ASL & Interpreting Studies. This link is also available within the ASLEI application. Recommendation link:
Application Deadline: Final Application Deadline for 2016-2017 academic year is May 15, 2016.
Step 3 – Complete the ASLEI required ASL Proficiency Screening
- An ASL Proficiency Screening is required as part of the ASELI application. The purpose of the screening is to determine readiness for the program. The program entry requirement is demonstrated ASL proficiency at a conversational level commensurate with four semesters of instruction in American Sign Language.
- The DOC will be offered in February, April, and June.
- Applicants will be sent an email prior to the screening with information on when your scheduled to complete the screening and how to register.
- There is a charge of $150.00 for this screening. You will be charged to your UNC student account once you are registered.
- NOTE: If you are a nationally credentialed interpreter (RID or EIPA 4.0+ and written test) the ASL proficiency screening will be waived. Verification of all identified credentials need to be scanned and emailed to: email@example.com.
Once you have completed your screening and program requisite ASL skills are determined (may take up to 6 weeks), an email will be sent to you with information on your readiness and placement in the program. If accepted into the program an advising session will be set up to discuss your placement and steps needed to begin the program.
Click here to go back to the ASLEI main page.