A healthy lifestyle is the key to looking good, feeling great, and being the best you can be at work and play. A healthy eating plan helps you get the most out of life. Here are some tips:
- Develop your personal game plan of good nutrition by making smart choices about what and how much to eat.
- Realize that all foods fit in a healthy eating plan. One food, one meal, or one day will not make or break your health or waistline.
- Give yourself time to develop new habits. It doesn’t happen overnight.
- Walk rather than run to begin an exercise plan.
- Rather than banning certain foods, control portion size, and stop eating when you are full.
- Pace yourself to savor the flavor. It takes a while for your brain to send the signal to your stomach that you’ve had enough to eat.
- Variety is the spice of life. Expand your range of food choices and explore new tastes.
- Try imaginative low-fat snacks such as fruit kebabs dipped in low-fat yogurt or air-popped popcorn lightly seasoned with herbs.
- Find a variety of enjoyable activities you can do on a regular basis.
- Seek out a friend or family member to join you on regular walks, bike rides, in-line skating, or other activities.
- Aim to get 3 servings a day from the milk group to meet your calcium needs. Calcium in these foods helps to prevent the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis and may help reduce your risk of high blood pressure and certain cancers.
- Don’t smoke, go easy on alcoholic beverages, and find an outlet for stress, like daily physical activity.
source: www.eatright.org (The American Dietetic Association)