Dining Services ~ A Guide To Student Employment

Payroll procedures

You will not be given an interview until you bring in your Work Authorization form. The Work Authorization is issued at Carter Hall at the Student Employment Office. You will need your social security card and official issued form of picture identification. If you are an international student, you will additionally need your passport.

A Work Authorization is valid for the entire academic year. They become available August 15th and are valid through May 14th. If you plan on working during the summer, a summer work authorization must be issued at the end of the academic year. They become available May 15th and are valid through August 14th.

Work Study is welcomed at all of the dining rooms. Ask when you go to apply for your work authorization if you qualify for Work Study.

International Students attending UNC with a work visa are limited to working a maximum of twenty-hours per week.

You must have your I-9 forms filled out and turned in to Student Employment at Carter Hall with in two business days of starting work at Holmes Hall. You may have done this at New Student Orientation this summer, but if not you must complete this at Carter Hall at the Student Employment Office. You will need your social security card or birth certificate and official issued form of picture identification. You can not be paid without completing this. See Work Authorizations for more information.

Rate of Pay, Pay Periods, and Opportunity for Advancement

  • The starting rate of pay for Dining Services is currently at least $7.05/hour.
  • The pay periods run from the 1st through the 14th and from the 15th through the end of the month. You will be paid on the last weekday in each pay period (i.e. the 15th falls on a Sunday, you will be paid the Friday before). Each pay check is for the pay period preceding the one you are currently working (i.e. Sept. 1-Sept. 14 will be paid on Sept. 30)
  • Paychecks are issued twice a month, for the above pay periods, on the last working day of each pay period.
  • In order to work at UNC, you must agree to have your paycheck deposited directly into your bank.
  • Your paycheck will be automatically deposited into your Wells Fargo student account each pay period. Any questions regarding direct depositing should be directed to Payroll or Wells Fargo.
  • You can check your pay status through URSA. See www.unco.edu/aboutursa for more information.
  • There is no overtime available. It is your responsibility to ensure you are not working over forty hours each week. If you work more than 40 hours in a week, you can be immediately terminated.
  • Evaluations are given once a year to employees regarding their job performance and work ethics to appraise their contributions and areas that may need improvement.
  • Student employees working the full academic year and returning the following academic year are eligible to receive a $.20 raise. You must have a good or better evaluation to receive the returning student raise. Requirements may also include working opening weekend, finals week, study breaks, and attending all mandatory trainings.
  • Student employees that achieve peak job performance, show leadership skills, and professionalism in regards to their job and work place, will have the opportunity to test and interview for a Student Supervisor position.


Student employees will be scheduled in a way that will not cause them to work overtime. NOT working overtime is as of the same importance as coming to work on time or not showing up for a shift. It is the employee’s responsibility to not exceed forty hours per week. Abuse of this policy is considered insubordination and grounds for disciplinary action and possible termination of employment.

In the event that a student employee works for two different campus positions concurrently, the total hours worked between the two positions may not exceed forty hours per week and remains the employee’s responsibility to monitor their hours accordingly.

CASE Program

This is a credit program that allows students to have a portion of their paycheck allocated towards payment of their student bill. Forms for this program and more information are available at Carter Hall in the Student Employment Office.

Back to the Table of Contents!