Join Our Team | We're Hiring
Assistant Vice President for Development
We love what we do because what we do matters. But as much as we love what we do – we are, at the moment, one team member short. It’s not bad news, it’s great news, because we’re recruiting the University of Northern Colorado’s next Assistant Vice President for Development.
Before you file this announcement away, indulge us for a moment because this position could be the perfect fit for you (or you could jump ahead to the end and submit your application).
Who We Are and What We Do
The University of Northern Colorado strives to be a leading student-centered university that promotes effective teaching, lifelong learning, the advancement of knowledge, research, and a commitment to service. As the university’s advancement team, we strive to position donors and volunteers as active leaders in making this vision a reality.
Working as a team, we ensure that UNC’s education remains affordable and accessible to college students of all ages and backgrounds. We are proud to work with the donors and volunteers who choose to invest in UNC’s success, because UNC’s success is based on the success of our students. More than one third of our students are first generation; more than 60% hold a job while in college; and 72% of first year students receive scholarships or grants.
For us and our constituents, our work isn’t just about the dollar raised or goal met, it is about creating life changing opportunities for our nation’s middle class, veterans, and nontraditional students – the individuals who rightly believe that a UNC education will change their life.
Let’s just say that we all have a good reason to get up and work hard every day.
Why We Are Recruiting an AVP
We like to keep things above board and we value open, honest communication. So here’s what you need to know. Our previous Assistant Vice President for Development Allie Steg Haskett got a new job – she became our Vice President. This change has created an exciting opportunity for our team to recruit a new, collaborative leader to fill this critical vacancy and contribute to UNC’s fundraising success at an exciting time.
Today, we have a successful team of professional staff and we are well on our way toward completion of the university’s first-ever comprehensive fundraising campaign. Our success is due in large part to the generosity and vision of our current donor community. The success of future campaigns depends upon building and growing this community. We believe that the Assistant Vice President is integral to making this happen.
But enough about us, let’s talk about you.
What we are looking for in a successful candidate:
- Demonstrated success working with donors at all levels to cultivate and solicit gifts
- Demonstrated experience leading and encouraging professional development staff
- Knowledge and excitement toward the future of fundraising
- An interest in finding and applying the right mix of fundraising best practices, data-informed strategies, and emerging trends in order to improve university development strategy
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited college, and an advanced degree would be great too
- Strong experience working with planned and blended gifts, both individually and as a member of a team
What we will ask you to do to ensure UNC’s success:
- Lead, encourage and coach a team of professional fundraisers; removing barriers toward and encouraging the celebration of their success
- Set the pace and example of fundraising productivity by effectively managing a portfolio of major donors
- Help conclude the campaign and collaboratively set the strategy for UNC’s next campaign
- Set and hold fair and honest standards of accountability among all team members
- Work within a central fundraising structure and help campus partners and academic leaders to understand their role within this structure
- Lead the development of UNC’s future planned giving strategy
What we will offer to ensure your success:
- A Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations who - as your supervisor - is an experienced development executive and will be personally committed to your success as the Assistant Vice President for Development
- An Assistant Vice President for Alumni Relations who - as your colleague - will partner with you to ensure that alumni engagement and advancement communication support you every step of the way
- Committed development professionals who – as your future team – are ready to work with you, learn with you, and encourage one another to succeed as a team
- An open and honest flow of communication, where you are given the information that you need to lead and will be respected for the information and insight you contribute
- The operational resources to fulfill what is asked of you and your team
- A strong work-life balance and dynamic local community where you don’t have to compromise in order to ‘have it all’
- A fun, humorous, and intelligent culture where we understand that sometimes you just have to let it out before you can move on
- A generous and competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the position
Call us – seriously. Call Allie at (970) 351-3292 for a confidential conversation. You are also welcome to call any member of our team that you may know. We realize the network of university advancement is small, so what better way to prove the quality of team that you could join, than by speaking with us directly. Allie, or any team member, will take your call, answer your questions, and help you decide if this could be an opportunity to do what you love, in a place worth doing it.