What types of technology must I have access to?
You must have access to a computer with e-mail and Internet capabilities. The courses are offered using Blackboard. If you are unfamiliar with Blackboard, tutorials are available, http://www.unco.edu/center/online.htm, click on Student Help. Discussion and interaction most often takes place via e-mail, discussion groups or chat rooms on-line. A conservative list of recommendations for using BlackboardTM, the online course system, includes the following:
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME; MacOS 9 or Mac OS X.
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 G of free disk space
- Software: Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Modem: 56K
What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is an on-line learning system that was developed to enhance teaching and learning through the Internet.
How do I login to Blackboard?
You will have access to your courses on Blackboard on the first day of classes, not before!
- ACCESS your online/Blackboard course by using a browser and typing in the following URL: http://bb.unco.edu or http://unco.blackboard.com
- USERNAME: -first 8 characters of the UNC generated email/Bearmail address
- PASSWORD: -is the same as you use to access URSA and your bear email account -the email address added to the Blackboard system will be the student's university-generated email address (you may forward your UNC email address to a personal email address in User Preferences)
- Please consider logging onto the UNC Online website for more assistance with your online course at: http://www.unco.edu/blackboard/index.htm and click on Student Help. There are tutorials that will help you learn and understand more about online instruction that you can take advantage of.
How do I find the schedule of classes?
You can access the Distance Dietetic Program class schedules through the Internet at: http://www.unco.edu/extendedstudies/extended/current/programs/A-E/Dietetics_BS.htm
How do I find out what books are being used and where do I get them?
The textbook list, including ISBN numbers, for classes can be found in Ursa once you have registered. In addition to other online bookstores, books may be ordered from the UNC Bookstore and Fan Shop.
Where do I get books and supplies?
Once you have identified the books and materials needed you can make your own arrangements to obtain your books through web sites such as www.allbookstores.com or www.half.com. Or, you have the option of contacting the UNC Bookstore and Fan Shop by phone 970-351-2135, fax 970-351-1488, or email. State that you are an off-campus degree student, and be ready to provide the textbook information along with the course number. Be sure to allow plenty of time for shipping so you will have your books for the beginning of class. You are responsible for having your books prior to class.
How do I access Ursa?
- Using a web browser, go to the Ursa site at http://ursa.unco.edu/. If you are a new student, follow directions at the bottom left hand side of this page; or click on ‘new student’ on the top left side of this page. If you have a pop-up blocker installed on your computer you will need to follow the instructions on the screen in order to access Ursa.
- In the Secure Access Login area of http://ursa.unco.edu/ you will need to enter your User Name (the first eight characters of your Bearmail) and Password (the same password that is used to access Bearmail) and then click the Login button.
- There will be several tabs across the top of the screen for future registration, etc.
Do I have to use my student email account or can I just use my personal account from home or work?
Students are now required to use their Bear Mail account. Who do I contact if I have a problem?
- Questions about a class: Contact your instructor.
- Questions about Blackboard: Click “Need Help” on the Blackboard login page and contact technical support.
- Questions about your program or University policies: Contact your advisor.