Alcohol Information FOCUS Class
The UNC FOCUS Class
Call: 351-1179 for registration
Is designed to meet the needs of students who have any type of substance use behavior, which might cause concern for them physically, psychologically, emotionally, academically and/or legally. Further, this group will examine how behaviors negatively impact those around you. These classes are for UNC students only.
2013 Fall Focus Class Schedule Now Available
This six-hour class is taught 7 times each semester and carries a non-refundable, non-transferable $75.00 charge for students. Each class is limited to 15 students.
- Please arrive on time, will not be admitted if you are more than 10 minutes late.
- UNC PD will be there and perform random Breathalyzers on students in the class.
- Lunch break will be approximately a 1/2 hour long.
- If students smell of alcohol they will be asked to leave the class and will have to register for an additional class.
- No drinking the night/morning of the class.
- If you are a no-show $75 will appear on your student bill, no refund will be issued.
To sign up for the FOCUS Class, call 970-351-1179 ask for Lisa
Through the FOCUS Class, students will …
- Learn about accurate levels of use by UNC students and recognize that misusing and abusing substances is not the normative behavior.
- Examine and discuss personal attitudes and beliefs about alcohol and other drug use.
- Gain an understanding of physical, psychological, and social effects of substance use.
- Critically evaluate and discuss the consequences and responsibilities associated with personal choices regarding substance use.
- Develop the necessary skills to identify and alter high-risk behaviors associated with alcohol and other drug use.
- Gain an understanding of the process of addiction.
Additional important information regarding the FOCUS Class:
- Payment of $75.00 for the class will be charged to each student's bill.
DAY OF THE CLASS
- Show up on time. If you are late you may not be allowed to participate in the class.
- Show up sober. A Breathalyzer test will be administered at the beginning of the class. We encourage students to not drink anything the night before because the alcohol could still be in your system when the class begins. If you fail the Breathalyzer, you will be asked to leave the class, forfeit your payment for the class and the referring agency (courts, residence life, etc.) will be notified. (NOTE: For students who have received a Minor in Possession (MIP) charge and are taking the class as part of a plea bargain failing the Breathalyzer will nullify the plea bargain, you will lose your drivers license, the MIP will be included as a criminal violation, and additional alcohol education classes will be mandated.) It is in your best interest to show up sober.
- Show up with an open mind. Evaluations from the class have indicated that students actually enjoy the class and the information presented. This is a non-judgmental time for you to learn and ask whatever questions you may have regarding alcohol and other drugs.
- Show up with a pen or pencil. You will be writing and participating in group activities. Please bring a pen or pencil with you to the class.
- If you have not registered for the class, you will not be allowed to participate in the class and the facilitators have a list of registered students. Call 351-1179 to register.