What prescription drugs are used and abused?
There are several categories of prescription drugs that are used and abused:
Opioids: Used to treat pain
- Other narcotics
CNS Depressants: Used to treat anxiety and sleep disorders
Stimulants: Used to treat sleep disorder narcolepsy, ADHD, and obesity
According to the 1999 Drug Abuse Warning Network, college students non medical use of pain relievers such as oxycodone is on a rise.
How are prescription drugs used?
Most prescription drugs are taken orally in pill form.
What are the short term effects of prescription drug use?
- Opioids: Blocked pain messages, drowsiness, constipation, depressed respirations
- CNS Depressants: A sleepy and uncoordinated feeling
- Stimulants: Elevated blood pressure, heart rate and respiration, suppressed appetite, and sleep deprivation.
What are the long term effects of prescription drug use?
- Opioids: tolerance, dependence, addiction and withdrawal
- CNS Depressants: tolerance, dependence, addiction and withdrawal
- Stimulants: addiction