Physical Security for Students
Here are some physical security tips you may find useful:
- Lock your door when you will be away to secure any personal mail, laptops, thumb drives, etc.
- Lock your computer screen by holding down the Windows key and pressing L every time you walk away from your computer. You can also use ctrl-alt-del to lock the screen.
- Store all documents containing personal information in a desk or filing cabinet that you can lock.
- Lock up any hardware that someone could easily walk off with when you’re away. Laptops can be secured with cable locks. Smaller items can be locked in a desk drawer or filing cabinet.
- Shred any printed documents that contain personal information.