Here are some physical security tips you may find useful:
- Lock your office door when you will be away from your desk for more than a few minutes.
- Lock your computer screen by holding down the Windows key and pressing L every time you walk away from your computer. You can also use ctrl-alt-del to lock the screen.
- Lock documents containing sensitive information in a desk or filing cabinet when you are not in your office.
- Lock up any hardware that someone could easily walk off with when you’re away from your office. Laptops can be secured with cable locks. Smaller items can be locked in a desk drawer or filing cabinet.
- If going into a card access door, please make sure it closes all the way behind you.
- Don’t hold the door open for others, even if you know them. Everybody should swipe their card (access rights can change at any time for any employee).
- Shred any printed documents that contain PII.