Office of Information Security
The mission of the Office of Information Security is to facilitate the following items in a secure manner: the education of students, deliver quality education, conduct research, and to ensure staff can serve the University mission and their departmental functions.
Our goals are to defend the institutions data, systems, and networks from misuse, damage and loss.
Protect Your Username and Password
To help prevent account theft and fraud IM&T will be engaging with the community to reduce credential sharing and posting. Sharing your personal login credentials can lead to theft of your personal data as well as 3rd party abuse of your UNC resources: email, file storage, and application access (Canvas, Banner, etc.). If you must write down your credentials for personal use, please follow the tips below:
- Do NOT store your username and/or password near your work area.
- Do NOT share your password with anyone.
- Do NOT write down multiple components of your credentials (Ex: “Banner Password – XXXXXXX” or “Username & Password”)
- Use hints when writing down a password (Ex: If your password was “@gremlin lives4THE summer” you could write down “@pet lives4THE thistimeofyear”)
- Store your credential in a locked container or keep it on you (Ex: Locked desk drawer that only you have a key to or inside your wallet/purse)