M.A. Program - How to Apply
You must be admitted to the UNC Graduate School before the Criminal Justice selection committee reviews your request. To apply, submit the following materials in a single packet along with the current application fee. Failure to submit all required materials together will delay evaluation and screening of your application.
UNC’s MACJ program invites applications throughout the year. We admit a new cohort (group of students) to begin the program each Fall term.
- Early Application Deadline: March 1
- Standard Application Deadline: July 1
A completed application typically takes between four to six weeks to process. Your application for admission will not be fully processed until all materials have been received by the Graduate School. Files are reviewed on a first-served basis as soon as they are complete, and students are notified by letter as soon as admission is granted to the MACJ program.
Those wishing to get an early start on elective courses can speak to the Program Coordinator about enrolling for those courses prior to your formal admission.
- Complete the Graduate School Application
- Have all official transcripts sent to the graduate school:
Graduate School and International Admissions
Campus Box 135
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639-0064
- Submit official GRE test scores (required for most Criminal Justice MA applicants). Test scores must be sent directly to the GSIA Office by the testing agency. Test scores must be received before an application is considered complete. UNC’s institutional code number is R4074. Those wishing to request a GRE waiver should contact the program coordinator about providing proof of prior experience and the impact on the Graduate School application process.
- Submit a Personal Essay – Submit a one to two page essay answering the following: In what way would a Master of Arts in Criminal Justice benefit you personally and professionally? Your essay must be double-spaced, in 12-point font, with one-inch margins all the way around. Submit your completed essay to: Grad.ApplicationMaterials@unco.edu.
- Arrange two academic or professional letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to your academic potential and abilities. Complete the Graduate School Recommendation Request Form to initiate letter of recommendation submissions from from these individuals.
The MACJ Admissions Committee reviews all completed applications and makes admissions decisions. Admission to the MACJ program is based upon the applicant’s academic history, standardized test scores and/or personal essay, letters of recommendations, work experience, and potential for academic and career success.
Contact the graduate coordinator for more information: