Smoking is prohibited in most areas of campus, except for designated smoking areas. Therefore, smoking is prohibited in, but not limited to:
- All interior spaces owned, rented, or leased by the University;
- Exterior spaces, including courtyards, breezeways, terraces, stairways and access ramps, outdoor dining patios, underpasses and recreational facilities and fields, and pick-up and drop-off points for campus and public bus transportation
- All vehicles owned, leased or rented by the University.
Further, the use of smokeless tobacco is prohibited from all interior space owned, rented, or leased by the university, including classrooms, athletic and recreational facilities, and residence hall rooms.
In addition, the following activities are prohibited:
- The sale of tobacco products on campus and/or campus-related events
- Advertising of tobacco products in campus publications (except for the sale or free distribution of non-university supported magazines and newspapers that contain tobacco product advertising).
- The distribution of samples of tobacco products, redeemable coupons and/or tobacco-related paraphernalia on university property and/or at a campus-related event.
- The sponsorship of campus events or campus organizations by tobacco companies or businesses in which tobacco sales is their primary source of revenue.
Tobacco Policy Implementation and Notification
The success of the tobacco policy depends upon obtaining and maintaining the willingness, understanding and cooperation of smokers and non-smokers on the University of Northern Colorado campus. It is the responsibility of all members of the UNC community and visitors to observe this tobacco policy. As leaders and role models, the deans, administrators, and supervisors are expected to influence and guide the University community in the implementation of this policy. Willful violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action.
On-site tobacco cessation guidance is available to assist and encourage individuals who wish to quit using tobacco. Supervisors may authorize employees who wish to take advantage of such services to do so without any loss in pay. Students, staff and faculty who wish to quit using tobacco can contact the UNC Drug, Alcohol and Tobacco Education program at 970-351-1136 or the UNC Counseling Center/Employee Assistant Program (EAP) at 970-351-2496 to discuss cessation options.
The Office of the Vice President for Administration is responsible for implementation of and compliance with the policy.
This policy complies with U.S. Greening Building Council, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design – Existing Building (LEED-EB) Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) control requirements. This is in observance of Governor’s Executive Order (D0011 07) on Greening Government.