Directions for Graduate Processional
Lining Up and Proceeding into Bank of Colorado Arena
All candidates will assemble 1 hour before the ceremony at the UNC Student Recreation Center adjacent to Butler-Hancock Athletic Center.
- Master's and Specialist's students should then proceed to the Graduate School table and pick up their name card and have their hood checked. Neatly fill in your name exactly as you would like it read (ex. Jonathan R. Smith). If your name is difficult to pronounce also include the phonetic spelling for our Readers so that it is pronounced correctly when you cross the stage. The name card will be given to the reader at the ceremony to announce the graduate's name as he/she goes across the stage; the number on the card will be used for lining up graduates for the procession.
- Doctoral students should check in with graduate school and have their hood folded. Doctoral students also need a namecard. Doctoral students will be hooded by their research advisor on stage.
- The ceremony length will be approximately two hours.
- Caps are worn with tassels to the left.
- View map of Bank of Colorado Arena seating.
- When your college is announced you will line up and approach the stage, each student’s card is read. Then approach the President and Dean of the Graduate School to receive your diploma cover shake hands and a picture is taken.
- Exit from the front of the stage and return to your seat until the President declares the ceremony at a close.
- The stage party will leave first, followed by faculty and then the marshals will dismiss the audience.
- Please silence your phone during the ceremony.
- We ask that you remain seated until the end of the ceremony out of respect for the other students that are waiting to receive their degrees.
- Commencement is a special celebration; please refrain from activity take away from the experience of the other students and audience.
- We ask that you do not affix large messages to your caps or gowns.
- Graduates should make arrangements to leave personal items (coats, purses, cameras, etc.) with family or friends. There is no secure area to store your belongings.
- Candidates must appear in an appropriate academic regalia to participate in the commencement ceremony.
- Tassels are worn to the right.
Order of Activity at Ceremony
- Student farewell address
- Welcome and Introductions
- Charge to the graduates
- Academic traditions
- Presentation of graduate dean's citations (graduate ceremony only)
- Presentation of the graduates
- Conferring of degrees
- Welcome from the Alumni Association
Contact the Graduate School at (970) 351-1803 or email@example.com