Frequently Asked Questions for Commencement
How long is the ceremony?
- The size of the graduating classes vary at each ceremony, in the fall graduate or undergraduate ceremies can be approximately 1-1 1/2 hours long.
- In the spring the graduate ceremony is approximately 2 hours long and the undergraduate ceremony is approximately 2 1/2 hours long.
Do I need a ticket to get into the ceremony?
- No. Seating is first-come, first-serve for all ceremonies.
Should I sit or stand during the processional?
- The commencement host on stage at the podium will help guide the audience during the program for when to stand (e.g. National Anthem, Alma Mater, Honor Guard presentation, etc). We would also ask that guests remove their hats/caps and stand during these parts of the ceremony.
Can I view the ceremony remotely?
- UNC will be streaming ceremonies live worldwide, be sure to check the viewing requirements prior to the start of the ceremony. Log on to the Webcast site and choose the ceremony that you plan to view. Ten minutes prior to the start of the UNC commencement, the link will turn green acknowledging that there is a special event about to occur.
How can I obtain a copy of the program or commencement speeches?
- After the ceremonies speeches will be posted to the Commencement website, programs will be posted under the past programs navigation bar.
I am interested in taking photographs of a graduate, where is the best location for me to do that during the ceremony?
- During the ceremony friends and family are not allowed in the Commencement seating or stage areas,if blocking the main aisle closest to the stage you will be asked to return to your seat. Standing at any length in these main aisles is both a fire and safety concern. In addition, standing in the aisles closest to the stage blocks the view those sitting in disability seating and guests sitting in the lower sections; and may prevent them from seeing their own student(s) receive their diplomas. We will ask you to move or return to your seat and ask that attendees use common courtesy at all times for those around you.
Where are the restrooms?
- Restrooms can be found in two locations on the main level of Butler Hancock Athletic Center, look for the directional signage. There are also restrooms on the second floor, east side of the Butler Hancock building.
- At Nottingham Field there are restrooms located just through the gate entrances and on the west side upper and lower levels.
Where are the public phones?
- There are no pay phones in Butler Hancock or at Nottingham Field, however there are emergency phones located in multiple locations across campus.
I am interested in reporting on Commencment and taking photos for my publication.
- Reporters and photographers covering Commencement are asked to contact Nate Haas in UNC's Public Relations office firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-351-1763 for pre-approval no later than two days prior to the ceremony. Those who have not contacted Nate Haas in advance may not be allowed access to the floor, even if they have credentials from their media outlet.
- Check-in and distribution of event credentials will be located in Butler Hancock, Champions Room number 195. Journalists will be required to show ID from their media outlet and meet the pre-approved criteria stated above.
Can I bring my pet?
- Pets are not allowed in Butler Hancock Sports Pavillion, nor Nottingham Field. The only exception is service animals.
Where is lost and found?
- All lost items found in Butler Hancock Athletic Center or at Nottingham Field will be delivered to Gray Hall (Campus Police Department headquarters).
Where are the designated smoking areas on near Butler Hancock Sports Pavillion?
Is there accessible seating for people with disabilities?
- There is limited designated seating along the first row of bleachers in Butler Hancock Sports Pavillion. This seating will accommodate the qualifying individual and one guest. We ask that extended families sit in the next row of seating above the accessibility seating to help accommodate other guests. We encourage early arrival at the ceremony, in that seating is throughout the gym and is first come, first serve. Doors open 1 hour prior to the beginning of the ceremony.
- At Nottingham Field there are designated seating areas in the bleachers on both the east and west side of the field.
What if I need additional special needs assistance outside of seating?
- Persons requesting disability accommodation outside of seating or parking for this event should contact Disability Support Services at (970) 351-2289 at least 4 business days before the event. Please note: UNC offers sign language interpretation at all ceremonies.
Can I just drive up to the entrance to drop off my passengers and then go park?
- Yes, please note passenger drop-off location on commencement parking map.
How do we arrange for transportation via the courtesy cart?
- For Butler Hancock Athletic Center and Nottingham Field ceremonies, UNC will provide mobility assistance transportation via a courtesy cart for our guests, see courtesy cart locations on the parking map. Simply drop off your family member at the courtesy cart location near the closest west entrance to Butler Hancock Sports Pavillion or the north east corner of Nottingham Field and the courtesy cart will take the guest to the entrance of the venue. After the ceremony, the courtesy cart will return your family member to the same location at the curb for pick up.
Is there disability parking near the facility?
- Disability parking spaces are marked with the international symbol and there are a number of these spaces located near the facility. These spaces are reserved for vehicles that display the appropriate state-issued hang tags or license plates. Failure to display the appropriate disability identification will result in a citation.
Can I rent or borrow a wheelchair?
- UNC does not provide wheelchairs for rent or loan.
Does UNC offer shuttle service to my graduates ceremony?
During the fall graduate and undergraduate ceremonies there is ample parking for guests on the west side of campus near Butler Hancock Sports Pavillion.
In the spring graduate ceremony guests are asked to park on the west side of campus near Butler Hancock Sports Pavillion (see the Parking link for additional details).
At the spring undergraduate ceremony we do offer complimentary shuttle service (see attached map). Map for spring Undergraduate Ceremony- Nottingham Field, shuttle service dropoff/pickup locations. Please note lot closures and shuttle routes.
- Shuttle Buses run from 7:45 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Departures are every 10 minutes from the stop on 22nd Street between 11th Avenue and 10 Avenue (between B lot and C lot) and stop at Nottingham Circle Drive. Shuttles are wheelchair accessible.
- Lots closest to Nottingham Field fill early and fast, please plan accordingly to ensure that you allow enough time to arrive with time to park and/or shuttle before the start of the ceremony.
- Disabled parking spaces are available in all lots on campus. There will be additional spaces in lots closest to Nottingham Stadium (Y lot, L lot and M lot).
- If we were to experience extreme weather conditions and UNC announces a move of venue to Butler Hancock Sports Pavillion, the building may reach seating capacity for ceremonies (see Inclement Weather Plan for college ceremony times). For attendee safety, this will require some guests to view the ceremonies from the University Center. Roundtrip shuttle transportation will be provided from the Butler Hancock Sports Pavillion site to the University Center.
Can I order a meal, appetizers or a cake to have at my graduation party?
- Yes, UNC Catering is available for your graduation party needs. Check out your menu options at http://www.unco.edu/catering. Schedule your event at least 2 weeks prior by contacting Event Planning at (970) 351-1315.
EINSTEIN BROS. BAGELS
Can I order breakfast for a small group and/or large group for my graduation party?
- Yes, Enstein Bros Bagels is available for your graduation party needs. Check out your menu options here.
- Schedule your event at least 3 days in advance by contacting Mya Walker at (970) 351-2165 or email email@example.com.
- Can I order lunch for a small group and/or large group for my graduation party?
Do you deliver?
- Yes, we offer free delivery within the Greeley/Evans city limits.
Can I order Subway lunch for a small group and/or large group for my graduation party?
- Yes, Subway Catering is available for your graduation party needs. Check out your menu options here.
- Schedule Giant subs at least 24 hours in advance, Party Trays and Box Lunches at least 12 hours in advance by contacting James Medina at (970) 351-1358 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you deliver?
- Yes, we offer free delivery within the Greeley/Evans city limits.
UNIVERSITY CENTER RETAIL HOURS
Munchy Mart 8:00am-4:00pm
Taco Bell 10:30am-4:00pm
For questions regarding undergraduate commencement:
Contact the Registrar’s Office at (970) 351-2231, option 3 or email email@example.com.
For questions regarding graduate commencement:
Contact the Graduate School at (970) 351-1803 or firstname.lastname@example.org