Disclaimer: These regulations may be reviewed by the Student Senate and changes may be enacted at any time it is considered necessary. All changes will be reviewed and approved by a two-thirds vote of the Student Senate. Changes will become effective at the discretion of the Student Senate.
CLUB FUNDING PROCESS
PURPOSE OF CLUB FUNDING
The Organization Funding Board (OFB) will not allocate funds to any group whose program is less than fourteen calendar days after the Funding Board meeting at which they are heard.
A. Funding Requests Limitations
1. Student organizations may request up to $1,500 from the Organization Funding Board for a single event. Any requests that surpass this cap must be approved by the OFB and will then be forwarded by the Director of Student Organizations to Student Senate to be ratified.
2. Student organizations are eligible to obtain up to $5,000 each year from Student Funding Board. Any requests that surpass this cap must be approved by the OFB and will then be forwarded by the Director of Student Organizations to Student Senate to be ratified.
3. In the event that a student organization requests funds for a reoccurring event, the OFB may allocate funds for the entire span of the events. Student organizations may request up to $3,000 for reoccurring events. Any requests that surpass this cap must be approved by theOFB and will then be forwarded by the Director of Student Organizations to Student Senate to be ratified.
4. Student Organizations may not request funds for operational budgets.
B. Procedure for Event Specific Budget Plan
1. Student Organizations must select one representative to attend one of the Funding Meetings at the beginning of the semester. If your organization is unable to attend, then funding may not be applied for unless your group contacts the Student Senate Director of Student Organizations to make other arrangements.
2. Student Organizations will complete the Student Organization funding sheet, specifying amounts of money needed for a specific event. This must be submitted to the Director of Student Organizations by 5:00 PM on the Monday prior to the scheduled SOT meeting.
3. If the student organization is requesting funds for a reoccurring event, all dates must be listed with the event request sheet.
4. The Student Organization event funding sheet will be forwarded to the Student Organization Team for approval.
5. The committee will use the following criteria to review requests:
- The credibility of the applications line item budget.
- The credibility and completeness of the events planning.
- The benefit of the events to the university, the students, and the club.
- The financial need of the club.
- Roll-over from account two funding is deducted from funding recommendation.
- Fundraising will be encouraged.
- All Events must be fully planned prior to the OFB meeting
6. Inappropriate funding request include:
- View-point bias events
- Food for regularly scheduled organizational meeting.
- Speakers without enough detailed event information or co-sponsorship funding to assure the OFB of its completion.
- Direct contributions to charitable organizations or agencies. A service or product must be rendered for all monies disseminated.
- Funding for travel to conferences or registration for conference.
- Alcohol or drug purchases.
- Salaries, stipends, or scholarships for elected or appointed student organization officers.
- Personal gifts. (Achievement awards, plaques denoting achievement, club t-shirts etc., are appropriate. However, such awards must be directed to individual members for participation and achievement that is above and beyond the whole or for the whole of the entire organization.)
- Private receptions or parties. All events fund must be available to all the members of the student organization.
- Funding for programs or activities which generate individual with academic credit.
- The OFB is authorized to interpret whether the use of funds is appropriate.
7. The OFB will enter deliberation after hearing individual budget requests and decide the appropriate funding allocation. The OFB will approve all recommendations by a 2/3 majority vote of the entire voting membership.
8. Student Organizations are required to submit a program report two weeks after the funded event occurs to the OFB. If a student organization requests funds for a reoccurring event they must submit monthly reports on the event. The program report must consist of the following:
- Brief description of what occurred at event
- Estimated number of attendees
- Final cost of event
SECTION 5: GRIEVANCES AND APPEALS
A. Grieving a Groups Funding Allocation
In the event a student organization feels that their funding allocation was unfair they may consult the AA/EO Facilitator to find appropriate courses of action.
SECTION 6: PROCEDURES FOR THE DISSEMINATION OF STUDENT SENATE FUNDS
A. When the OFB approves the organization's budget allocation, funds will be transferred into an individual organization's account through the University Center Business Office.
B. In order to use Student Senate funds, the organization must complete an Account Authorization Signature Card, which includes all signatures of those members approved by the organization to process expenditures and the group's advisor.
C. All revenue generated by the organization from student fees must be deposited in the Student Organizations account.
D. All organization expenditures must start with a Work Copy. On this document must be the signatures of the treasurer of the organization and of another officer in that organization. The signatures must conform to the ones on the signature card. The group advisor may not authorize expenditures.
E. Upon completion of the Work Copy, the Student Senate Director of Student Organizations, or in his/her absence the Student Senate Director of Finance must approve and countersign the Work Copy.
F. Expenditures or commitments made without an approved Work Copy will be considered a personal transaction and Student Senate will not be responsible for payment.
G. Purchases of services or goods may not exceed the total amount, which the organization has earned and deposited into its account. At no time will an organization be allowed to deficit spend. Deficit spending will have a negative impact on subsequent funding allocations.
H. All travel must be processed in advance through the University Center Business Office. The University requires special forms and procedures be used. NO travel will be reimbursed unless it has been processed in advance through the UC Business Office.
I. If the above procedures are not followed, the organization will be personally responsible for unapproved expenditures.
J. Any funds remaining in the Director of Student Organizations account will roll over into subsequent fiscal years.
SECTION 7: SEIZURE AND/OR SUSPENSION OF ORGANIZATIONAL FUNDS
A. In the event that strong evidence is presented that an organization may have violated UNC or Student Senate policy or state, or federal law, the Student Senate Director of Student Organizations has the authority to suspend the organization's account. During the next OFB meeting, the suspension must be affirmed by the committee or it cannot remain in place.
B. In the event that strong evidence is presented that the organization has misappropriated funds then the Student Senate Director of Student Organizations will forward that information to the internal auditor. Following the findings of the auditor, action against the groups charter may be taken as outlined in Chapter IX: P1: 7.