Pre-Departure Information page header

Pre-Departure Information

| When to Arrive | Ursa Account | Bear Mail Account | Housing | U.S. Visa | | Immunization |
| Course Registration | What to Bring | Health Insurance |

Now that you have been accepted to UNC you need to prepare for coming to the United States.  The steps below will help you fully prepare for your arrival. 

If you have questions at any time please contact the Center for International Education at or by calling (970) 351-2396.

When to Arrive

US Immigration law allows students to arrive in the USA up to 30 days before the start of classes. CIE requires students to arrive at least 1 week before the beginning of classes. Please plan your travel arrangements accordingly.
back to top

Activate Your Ursa Account

Ursa is the secure, electronic gateway to real-time information and tools for University of Northern Colorado faculty, staff, and students. Ursa makes UNC's day-to-day operations and long-range planning more efficient and more effective.  To activate you account go to If you need help, please click here.
back to top

Activate Your Bear Mail Account

When you are admitted to UNC, an e-mail account called BearMail is automatically created.  This account is the one used by faculty and University offices to communicate with you and it is important to use this UNC Student Email.  This is the official form of communication between all parts of the university and you.  To activate you account start by going to  If you need help, please click here.
back to top

Housing in the U.S.

One of your immediate concerns will be to find housing.  On-campus living is worry-free living, and you’ll be at the center of the action. You’ll be just a short walk from classes, labs and libraries. You’ll have easy access to University Center events, the Campus Recreation Center and a variety of dining options. You’ll also be among the first to know about social events, sporting competitions, campus concerts and more.

Plus, you can’t beat the value and convenience of campus housing. Your telephone, cable TV and high-speed Internet access are included, and you’ll save time, money and headaches not having to commute to campus. For details on housing options available to you or to claim your space now go to:  For specific questions you can e-mail Housing & Residential Education at or call 1-(970) 351-2721. They will be more than happy to assist you in your search for housing. Please note: You will be required to pay additionally for housing during the days you arrive before the residences halls officially open. If you arrive one week before classes begin it will be less than $100 US dollars.
back to top

U.S. Visa

A Visa is required to enter the United States. It can take from 3 days to 2 months to get your visa and so it is important to start right away. When you go to the US Consulate for your visa interview you will need to take these items:

  • Form DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application completed online. It can be found at: then select "forms"
  • Form DS-2019 from our office. The primary visa holder must sign all DS-2019's
  • Receipt proving payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee. For instructions on paying the SEVIS I-901 fee please click here
  • Documentation of financial support for the period of your stay at UNC. This should be either
    • an original statement or letter from your bank /or/
    • scholarship or grant awards from you school /or/
    • documentation showing the amount needed set aside for your use while in the USA
  • Evidence of your residence abroad and your intent to depart the US after completion of your program. (This can be proof of enrollment for fall semester at your university, an employment contract, or other documents verifying your ties to your home country.)
  • A valid passport. This is valid for a minimum of 6 months after the end of your stay in the USA.
    back to top

Immunization Records

All new UNC students born after 1957 must complete a Certificate of Immunization against measles, mumps and rubella.  The International Admissions office sent this form to you with your admissions letter.  Please note that this certification must be signed by a physician, nurse, or school authority.  If you do not have proof of immunization, you must either obtain the required immunizations (you can do this after your arrival on campus at the Student Health Center) or sign the exemption statement at the bottom of the immunization form.  If you did not receive the form, please download the form from this link:  You will not be able to register for classes until you submit this form.
back to top

Course Registration

To register for classes online go to:  Undergraduates must have an Alternate “PIN” number in order to register.  This number was provided on your admission letter.  When you have completed your schedule for the semester, be sure that you have enrolled full-time.  For undergraduates this is 12 credit hours; graduate students is 9 credit hours.  Please note that only 1 online class may count toward full-time.  For information about course requirements and for descriptions of courses, see the University of Northern Colorado Catalog website: Click on “Current Students” and then “Catalogs” at the bottom of the screen.

All business courses must be approved by the School of Business.  Please contact the Business Advising Center to register for any classes beginning with a BA.  That office can be reached at or (970) 351-1233.

If you do not know which courses to register or have problems register for classes, please contact the Center for International Education so they can refer you to the appropriate office.
back to top

What to Bring

Colorado definitely experiences four seasons. While our climate is generally mild, it is certainly unpredictable, and you must be prepared for sudden changes of weather.   Although the temperature rarely goes below 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C), it can be windy and feel quite cold.  The normal temperature range for January is between 35 and 50 degrees F (2 – 10 degrees C).  Snow falls occasionally, usually in small amounts of 2 – 3 inches, and disappears within a few days.  Bring cold-weather clothes.  If you have warm-weather clothes, either bring them or have them sent to you later.  If you come from a cold climate and don’t have warm weather clothes, it is better to wait and buy them here. Throughout the spring the weather will become milder, but snowstorms do occasionally occur in March and April. Summer temperatures average in the upper 80’s (30 degrees C) and may reach 100 degrees F, but evenings cool to comfortable sleeping temperatures.

CIE will provide opportunities shortly after arriving to purchase items that may have been forgotten or too difficult to pack.  It is not necessary to pack bedding if you live on campus. A linen packet will be provided for a short time when you check in to your building
back to top

Health Care and Health Insurance

The cost of medical care is extremely high in the United States, and the government does not provide care.  You will be responsible for purchasing your own medical insurance or use insurance provided by UNC.  The University offers health insurance for students, their spouses, and their children.  If your spouse or child will come to Greeley with you, you must pay extra for their health insurance, which can be expensive.  You may choose one of the University’s plans or you may waive the University insurance and choose an insurance plan offered by a private company.  If you are covered by a policy in your home country you must bring proof of your insurance in English.  The insurance policy must be in effect by the waiver deadline for the current semester. For more information on health insurance please visit For a list of acceptable insurance providers please click here to visit NAFSA web page.
back to top


  • Click here for a map of the UNC Campus
  • New application deadlines for undergraduate International Students.
  • Undergraduate applications for Fall admission must be received by May 31st.
  • For spring admission applications must be received by September 30th.
  • For Summer admission applications must be received by February 28th.
  • For Graduate Students
  • Please check with the department for application deadlines, but they must be received no later than the undergraduate application deadlines.