Academic English Assessment
Screening and Placement: The Academic English Assessment has three parts:
- Oral interview by the IEP Coordinator or Team (20 minutes)
- ALL new students must be screened by oral interview
- Students present any documents concerning the fluency criteria
- If Oral skills support fluency criteria evidence, student is "cleared" to register for full-time coursework.
- The Interview serves two purposes:
- Speaking/listening assessment and placement recommendation
- Provides helpful Information about the student
- Writing Sample (30 minutes)
- 30-minute timed essay assesses writing skills - organization, unity/coherency, content, sentence structure, vocabulary/spelling and grammar
- Essays are read and scored by IEP faculty
- ACT ESL Computerized Assessment (90 minutes - 2 hours)
- Listening Comprehension (% out of 100)
- Reading Comprehension (% out of 100)
- Grammar/Usage (% out of 100)
- IEP team reviews all data in student folders and places students in appropriate level based on established standards.
- Placement decisions will be shared with the International Admissions Committee.