UNC Quality Matters Project Overview
Quality Matters (QM), originated from a FIPSE grant, and is a faculty-driven and centered peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses and online components. Sponsored by MarylandOnline, Inc, Quality Matters has generated widespread interest and received national recognition for its peer-based approach to quality assurance and continuous improvement in online education.
UNC online programs have grown significantly during the past years, and will continuously expand through extended studies and existing avenues in the future. Partnering with the Office of Extended Campus, the Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning believes it is critical to maintain consistent and systematic standards for gauging the quality of online courses, and provide ongoing professional development for instructors who teach online or hybrid courses. We believe that the Quality Matters program will be a beneficial project that adds to a culture of faculty helping faculty.
Faculty serving as instructors of record (current or past) in online courses are eligible to apply. Full time faculty currently teaching online courses will be given preference over other appointments.
- Prior training in online teaching
- Online teaching experience
- More than 2 semesters teaching online course(s)
- Taught online within the last 18 months
Benefits to Participants
- Support to redesign existing online course
- Development of critical assessment skills for examining online courses and materials
- Support the University’s commitment to excellence in teaching
- Opportunity to work with peers with similar interests for support and feedback
- Opportunity to be trained as a QM Peer Reviewer and Master Reviewer
- Supporting Resources
- CETL and OES will provide funding for training as a QM peer-reviewer and/or master reviewer
- Participants who publish an article on the results of integrating Quality Matters into their own teaching or scholarship will receive a $500 stipend from the Office of Academic Affairs. Participants who present their findings at a conference of their choice on the results of integrating Quality Matters into their own teaching or scholarship will receive a $350 stipend.
Quality Matters: Applying the Quality Matters Rubric Online Course
This online course introduces you to the Quality Matters (QM) program that is designed to certify the quality of online and blended courses. UNC has been a subscriber to Quality Matters since 2009 and encourages all new online courses to use Quality Matters as a guideline for development.
QM is based on a process that includes the use of the QM rubric of standards along
with a peer review process to improve the design of online courses.
Faculty members who attend this “Applying the Rubric” course will gain tools which will help them evaluate and improve their existing online courses or plan a new online course with the rubric as a guideline. In addition, interested faculty can attend the “Peer Reviewer Certification” course offered by Quality Matters and become a certified reviewer. As a certified reviewer, you will be qualified to review courses from other institutions and receive a stipend. UNC currently has 10 certified QM reviewers among the faculty and staff.
- Describe the underlying principles of Quality Matters TM (QM)
- Use the QM Rubric to assess the quality of an online course
- Explain the rubric scoring system
- Draft helpful recommendations for course improvement based on the standards
This course is designed for faculty members who have experience teaching online or have used Blackboard extensively to support their face to face courses.