Information for Teacher Candidate Supervisors
If you would like to become a university supervisor of teacher candidates, please apply to be in our hiring pool. Submit an applicaiton using this link.
Your application will be reviewed and you will be notified if you qualify.
Dear UNC full time and part time faculty serving as field supervisors in student teaching courses. The School of Teacher Education highly values your service, and we wish to make your and your students' experience even more effective and fulfilling. Below are some UNC policies on student teaching supervision, and we welcome any suggestions you may have. Help us develop resources for new supervisors.
FORMS for Current Supervisors:
Mileage reimbursement process has changed again because of the new requirements by the Financial Services. Right-click on this form, select "Save As." Use your last name as the name of the file, and save on your computer. Complete the form, and e-mail it to email@example.com. Please do it once a month; the sheets will be processed on the first busyness day of the month.
- Use this form only for in-state travel, related to field supervision of UNC students in School of Teacher Education classes (EDEC, EDEL, EDFE, STEP), all field experiences, including student teaching.
- Calculate miles from home or from UNC, whichever distance is shorter. Please try to combine trips whenever possible.
- If you visited students from more than one program, simply alternate the primary purpose for the next trip to the same destination.
- To reimburse the cost of copying and postage, mail or bring all receipts to STE office at the end of each semester. On the back of each receipt, write which program this was used for. Make sure your name is on the envelope.
All UNC University Supervisors are required to have a school-based meeting at the beginning of the semester with each of the cooperating teachers with whom they have been assigned to work. If there are more than one cooperating teacher in the same school, a group meeting would be most appropriate. The purpose of the meeting is to review: cooperating teacher’s, candidate’s, and supervisor’s roles and responsibilities for the semester; packets with evaluation rubrics and forms; online handbooks, guidelines for addressing candidate concerns/dispositions; and mentoring/coaching strategies. Cooperating Teacher should be informed about the guidelines and resources for mentoring and coaching beginning teachers.
- All placements procedures
- Field Experience Placement Requests (other than student teaching)
- Forms: See respective handbooks
- See also the information for Cooperating Teachers, so you are aware of it