Student Teaching Abroad

For Teacher Candidates

  • Do you want to student teach abroad? It can be a highly rewarding experience that can help your professional and personal growth. It takes preparation and some additional resources.
  • Please contact the Student Teaching Placement Officer, Lynette Kerrigan, ONE YEAR ahead of time about your plans. You will be asked to complete a special application and meet criteria specific to this specialized placement.
  • If you have personal contacts on locations, let us know that. Feel free to do internet research to identify possible placements around the world, but do not contact anyone before clearing it with us. You will also have to complete the regular Student Teaching Application in EDFE 130, and indicate your preference for placements abroad; turn it in by the designated due date.
  • The Department of Defense offers unique opportunities to student teach in American schools around the world. See Department of Defense Student Teaching opportunities. You must go through their placement process.
  • Contact Lauren Bruce, Study Abroad & Exchange Coordinator for information on established partnerships. UNC's Office of Study Abroad is a great resource!
  • And finally, when your placement is finalized, you will need to see Lauren Bruce to work on logistics of overseas travel: tickets, visas, insurance, etc.

For Host Schools

The School of Teacher Education is looking for dependable partners around the world to place our teacher candidates. We are proud of our students, and would like to expand student teaching abroad opportunities for them. If you would like to have student teachers at your school, please contact Lauren Bruce Study Abroad & Exchange Coordinator. A few things to consider:

  • Students need to have a good idea about possible cost: transportation, housing, meals. They appreciate any help to reduce the cost, for example host family situation.
  • We care greatly about safety of your locality, and advise students against going to areas of civil conflict, political instability or high crime rate.
  • Students need to be placed with experienced (at least three years of classroom experience) cooperating teachers. If your country has a system of professional licensure, those teachers need to be licensed. UNC pays $100 stipend to cooperating teachers. Our students need good mentoring and experienced role models.
  • Our students will need a supervisor; someone to come and observe at least three lessons, and fill out evaluation forms. In most cases, a school principal (headmaster) or another senior administrator agrees to fulfill that role. UNC pays a $400 stipend to supervisors.
  • Most of our teacher candidates need to be placed in an English language classroom, but occasionally, we have students who can teach in Spanish, German, or French.
rightcol1 rightcol 2